Before I Ebay my TomTom

is there any fixes to the no left turn bit? Something that may turn this TomTom One GPS into a
well a useable GPS?

Last edited:
He's referring to the TT routing engine's almost manic desire to force you to NEVER turn against the flow of traffic, but rather take you around the block when 99% of us would simply take the shorter route and wait for a gap in traffic.

I've head of this, but haven't noticed the effects if my area. Can someone provide an origin and destination for a route, and an intersection along the route where this problem crops up?

I have experienced it many times. It's utterly maddening! I too am thinking about ebaying mine.

I have this happen from time to time. I think the best way to handle it is to use the GPS as a tool to augment your ability to navigate rather than to trust your entire trip to the device. You can usually see these shenanigans in advance and route accordingly. Sure it's annoying, but definitely not a deal breaker for me. Plus, my buddy's Garmin does the same thing...at different intersections though...weird.

Happens quite often to me.

Here's a perfect example of a recent trip of mine in the Dallas area.

Use the "Prepare route" function in your TT from and to the following destinations, and see how it routes you at the end of the trip, through a maze of residential side streets to avoid turning against the traffic in Midway Rd, where there was an ability to turn quite easily in front of the destination address.

From address:

7516 Las Colinas Boulevard, Irving, Texas 75063

Destination address:

18918 Midway Rd, Dallas, Texas 75287

(do not avoid the toll road)

Last edited:
I can see what you are talking about. In this particular case (and probably in many cases) the undesirable routing appears to be the result of mapping inaccuracies - the left turn lanes and cut-out directly in front of the address do not appear on the map. Thus, TomTom has no way of knowing that it's possible to turn left at this location.

I checked both Teleatlas' Map Insight and Navteq's Map Reporter and both show the road configuration the same way.

Stangely enough, Navteq's Map Reporter couldn't find the address as listed - I had to use latitude and longitude obtained from Google Maps in order to find the location in Map Reporter.

the undesirable routing appears to be the result of mapping inaccuracies - the left turn lanes and cut-out directly in front of the address do not appear on the map. Thus, TomTom has no way of knowing that it's possible to turn left at this location.

I agree with Michael, this is most likely due to the missing access across the median. It is now in the TeleAtlas data (see http://maps.forum.nu/gm_main.html )...so it should be in a near future map release.

I have this happen from time to time. I think the best way to handle it is to use the GPS as a tool to augment your ability to navigate rather than to trust your entire trip to the device. You can usually see these shenanigans in advance and route accordingly. Sure it's annoying, but definitely not a deal breaker for me. Plus, my buddy's Garmin does the same thing...at different intersections though...weird.

I'd have to take exception to this.

We are talking about technology that is what 30 years old? It can navigate planes in bad weather from point A to the end of a runway at Point B. It can move a soldier and their unit to within 3 feet of a waypoint.

it's not too much to ask that they can get a car from A to B as well. If Google, Yahoo, etc directions can properly route someone without the left turn crap - so too should a TomTom.

I'd have to take exception to this.

We are talking about technology that is what 30 years old? It can navigate planes in bad weather from point A to the end of a runway at Point B. It can move a soldier and their unit to within 3 feet of a waypoint.

it's not too much to ask that they can get a car from A to B as well. If Google, Yahoo, etc directions can properly route someone without the left turn crap - so too should a TomTom.

It's all in the maps the companys yse. If the map is not accurate neither will navigation. An aircraft or a person going from a know point to a known point is easy. Airways have been there a long time as well as airports and much less of them.

Thats exactly right. The technology is not the problem, as the satellites are not the issue. If the map being used shows there being a center median preventing a left turn, the satellites can't do any thing about that. If you want to have a problem with something, blame the maps, not the technology. Even then, Ive learned that regardless of the map provider (Mapshare, etc), each one tends to have some similar issues in one area or another. And I think its safe to say that the US Military probably doesn't use TeleAtlas or Navteq to "move a soldier and their unit to within 3 feet of a waypoint." Contact department of defense, maybe they can refer you to their map provider lol.

You can't compare devices designed and manufactured for a consumer-based price point with military-grade devices. The design specifications and cost per unit aren't even in the same ball park. It's unrealistic to expect military-grade performance from a consumer-oriented device, even if the underlying technology is the same.

is there any fixes to the no left turn bit? Something that may turn this TomTom One GPS into a
well a useable GPS?

We need more information.

What are the first 7 characters of the s/n?

Does it allow right turns ever, or just in a certain area?

One important 'advice' to TomTom newbies: When you think you are right, go your own way - something not easy to do with other devices (without getting nagged) or ... your other half passenger.
You and your TT is a team. Most of the time your TT is fine, but when its butt needs to be kicked then do it.:D
Change your GPS, you will find problems too, maybe not the same kind.:D

TAnd I think its safe to say that the US Military probably doesn't use TeleAtlas or Navteq to "move a soldier and their unit to within 3 feet of a waypoint." Contact department of defense, maybe they can refer you to their map provider lol.

Google or Yahoo is not the Military - obviously.

he design specifications and cost per unit aren't even in the same ball park. It's unrealistic to expect military-grade performance from a consumer-oriented device, even if the underlying technology is the same.

Not when you compare quantity. Technology is the Technology.

Thats exactly right. The technology is not the problem, as the satellites are not the issue

I would call the built in no left turn a technological problem. or you could be more specific and say a TomTom Application problem. either way it's a problem. To minimize the left-turn or map issues to a median or no median is being pretty limiting. This units steered me onto a dirt road that was a farmer's driveway, totally neglecting road's that have been established for decades - and the farmer's driveway was about 10 miles out of the way.

You don't have to like it, but facts are facts.

If the map being used shows there being a center median preventing a left turn, the satellites can't do any thing about that. If you want to have a problem with something, blame the maps, not the technology
I'd blame TomTom - it's their unit, they're choosing what maps go in there. TomTom application of a GPS unit is left wanting.

It's really simple folks. A GPS unit is based off of 30 year old technology, you as a consumer should expect to be able to use it as your primary means of navigation. Not as an expensive dashboard toy. Otherwise you are comparing it to the usefulness of a Hulu Dancer Dashboard figure.

Last edited:
Well Chasester, many of us have done our best to explain deficiencies in the Tomtom. Some of them obviously could be improved by the company or by Teleatlas; others not so much. Despite what anyone says, it seems as if you have made up your mind. You don't like your Tomtom, plain and simple. Every post you've pretty much ever made on this board (not just this topic), has been critical of the Tomtom in various aspects. That is very much you're choice; some people will like a device, others will not. It comes down to you are an adult, no one is forcing you to keep your Tomtom. Sell it on ebay, and get something for it. Give a Magellan or Garmin a try if you want. Maybe you will like it better, maybe you will hate it just as much or more. If you have any other questions, and you have an open mind, many people here are more than happy to help you find the answers.

I hesitate to address this topic since I really like my TomTom GO 920 but there are 3 or 4 niggling annoyances. This relates to one of them.

He's referring to the TT routing engine's almost manic desire to force you to NEVER turn against the flow of traffic, but rather take you around the block when 99% of us would simply take the shorter route and wait for a gap in traffic.

I guess that accounts for behavior I see. I use itineraries with multiple intermediate destinations (way points) around town. Many intersections here are T intersections (3 legs). I have chosen fastest route in my preferences. If an intermediate destination is in a location that requires a loop of a "block" or a U-turn it seems to always loop the block in the direction that gets me there the latest. I cannot second guess it since I must rely on the spoken instructions not yet having a mount for the device that is legal for use here in California.

Ask a Question