my Tom Tom Worked better before update

I bought a TOM TOM online at amizon, which by the way I will never buy from them again. They used the bait and switch to sell me a TOM TOM that was supposed to have lifetime traffic and maps. When I received it it had neither. I called TOM TOM and after 4 calls the supv. finally agreed to update my maps from 2009 to 2011. The cust. service people were very helpful but it was sad that after updating my unit it worked worse than before. I had no problems with the unit before I updated it, it worked great, but didn't know a lot of the roads i was on. Now after updating it it shuts down unexpectedly or it doesn't know where it is. What good is a gps unit if it can't tell you where you are. I really like this unit over Garmin and the Magellan one I had before but I just wish I could get a unit that works all the time.

First of all, what model? Next, did you get a combination rds-tmc antenna/car charger? If not, you don't have lifetime traffic.

Did you get a slip of paper in the package with an activation code to register the lifetime maps? If not, you don't have lifetime maps included.

Tom Tom xxl 550

When I bought the unit from Amazon they said it had LMT but when I received it it had no code included in the package. I contacted Amazon several times and finally they said the unit was supplied from TOM TOM factory direct and it was there issue. I contacted TOM Tom about this issue and they were helpful and assisted me in updating my unit but it has not worked the same since. I am not faulting TOM TOM for there support but the unit for not being what I expected.

TOM TOM xxl 550

Oh and I did not receive anything in the box except the unit and window mount, I did not receive the combo traffic and power charger, Amazon bamboozled me, but they led me to believe TOM TOM would fix it because it came from there factory.

Tom Tom 550 XXL

Well amizon strung me out long enough that is no longer an option, almost like they planned it that way, like I said earlier I would never do business with them again. I unlike many don't have the resources to buy another one and I drive for a living so I am just stuck with this one when it works. I appreciate your sympathy, obviously the current economy hasn't affected you.

Uh, what the heck do you know about the economy and how it affects me?

Want to keep this discussion about YOUR problems, fine. Otherwise, ........................

I said to return it to Amazon because Amazon is an authorized reseller of TomTom and, as such, in part:

must show:
commitment to quality support, merchandising, and display of TomTom products

and

commitment to support TomTom customers

Oh and I did not receive anything in the box except the unit and window mount, I did not receive the combo traffic and power charger, Amazon bamboozled me, but they led me to believe TOM TOM would fix it because it came from there factory.
It's unlikely that this unit came directly from TomTom - and I'm actually surprised that it came from Amazon. Sounds more like eBay. Without the cable that comes with it, you would be unable to use the unit - no power. Where did you come up with the power cable?

Can understand your frustration.

When I upgraded my go720 last year it too was worse off. It suffered the same issue as many others where the volume for the line out became ineffective locked at 100% volume. I phoned tech recently hoping they had a fix but sadly after half an hour of deleting files and numerous upgrades and re-boots plus losing my favorites I was told they no longer support that feature on my device. So in effect they broke it and either don't know or don't care to fix it.

PS to the above

I would like to downgrade my device to the version it was when new. I want to see if I can get my line out volume control working again and I won't bother with any more upgrades.
Anybody done this or has a link to a procedure to accomplish this task?
Thanks

I would like to downgrade my device to the version it was when new. I want to see if I can get my line out volume control working again and I won't bother with any more upgrades.
Anybody done this or has a link to a procedure to accomplish this task?
Thanks
Depending upon what was current when you bought it, you might not be able to revert quite that far back. However, this version will likely put you back where you want to be - it supports >2GB SD cards, too:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.302.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

To install that version, follow the directions in this thread (which also points you to that firmware):

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...23494-roll-back-earlier-software-version.html

downgrade in process

Thanks I'll give it a go. I just finished deleting loose files then extracting navcore 7.221.8572 to my device. Then line out volume control works again with my earbuds plugged in too!!
So here I go with ver. 8.302

If you want your line out volume to work this is it.

Delete loose files and extract navcore ver. 7.221.8572 to your device. I'm not sure if the ver. after this one will work but now I know that ver. 8.302 defeats volume control on the line out feature.

When I bought the unit from Amazon they said it had LMT but when I received it it had no code included in the package. I contacted Amazon several times and finally they said the unit was supplied from TOM TOM factory direct and it was there issue. I contacted TOM Tom about this issue and they were helpful and assisted me in updating my unit but it has not worked the same since. I am not faulting TOM TOM for there support but the unit for not being what I expected.

I have bought and return GPS's form Amazon several times.They have one of the best return policies there is. No questions asked. I have never even had to contact them. Just did it online and they send a return shipping label.

Delete loose files and extract navcore ver. 7.221.8572 to your device. I'm not sure if the ver. after this one will work but now I know that ver. 8.302 defeats volume control on the line out feature.

If you want the "look and feel" of the more recent software versions, but still want adjustable level on the audio line out, maybe a simple in-line volume control would do the trick?
Something like ?

Using inline volume control.

I'm using my TT on my motorcycle along with my mp3 player so I have made a line out from my mp3 player and a line out from my TT which merges into one female jack for my earbuds. If I adjust the volume down to compensate for the 100% volume of the TT the volume will be too low to hear the mp3.
I still don't see why I should have to go to the extra trouble over this issue. I mean how hard can it be to solve this issue. Is there no way to issolate the file or files in the upgrades that cause the line out volume control to malfunction? If this was a pc software product I'm sure there would be an immediate fix or patch or something. I think the only thing TT is concerned about is getting to and staying on top of the heap and not troubling themselves with a few disgruntled individuals. Which has certainly swayed me in my next gps purchase.

I have made a line out from my mp3 player and a line out from my TT which merges into one female jack for my earbuds. If I adjust the volume down to compensate for the 100% volume of the TT the volume will be too low to hear the mp3.

Even if the volume control was before the "merge point" of the y-cord?
(Having said that, it might do... these in-line volume controls are not that clever, so lower settings of the control may "load down" the signal from the other source).

I still don't see why I should have to go to the extra trouble over this issue. I mean how hard can it be to solve this issue. Is there no way to issolate the file or files in the upgrades that cause the line out volume control to malfunction?

The problem is... I don't think it''s a mistake or malfunction. The change was done DELIBERATELY by TomTom.

I think the only thing TT is concerned about is getting to and staying on top of the heap and not troubling themselves with a few disgruntled individuals. Which has certainly swayed me in my next gps purchase.

I won't disagree with you there... I have waged a long campaign trying to get Tomtom to give us better control over the various audio levels on their units (primarily because their TTS voies are louder than their recorded ones and their warning sounds can be too quiet compared to a TTS voice).
All of the levels should be variable on ALL the outputs too - internal speaker, line out, FM transmitter and Bluetooth.

Here's a mock up of what I'd like to see, which I sent to them back in 2008!
Volume_suggestion_1.jpg

Unfortunately every suggestion I have made has been met with a resounding silence from their technical departments.

Ask a Question