Anyone in Calif. ever get dinged for windshield mounting?

I know the law changes in Jan. '09 albeit it is somewhat lame in where they say you can mount a unit. But has anyone here ever actually gotten a ticket.

Just curious.

I see a lot of people with them attached to their windshields. Doesn't seem like they're enforcing it. I'm careful not to windshield-mount mine.

I haven't heard of anyone as of yet and still see some with them mounted to the windshield, I presently have mine vent mounted, but looking to try a different way, have another spot in mine..............

The law was changed last year. You can windshiled mount it in the left or right corner but not in the middle under the mirror. Seems wierd. Never heard of it being enforced. I vent mount my 720s for better handsfree cell calls. I hate the handsfree requirement. The safey professionals admit that handsfree does not result in any safety improvement. The disfunctional California legislature wanted to show that they are doing something. Once again- ready, fire, aim.

Keep in mind that with the withering economy in the Golden State, the CHP is looking for any reason to write you up, to generate income (this is true of all LE organizations) for the state. I know two CHP officers who have told me that the word has gone out to look for expired tags, missing front plates, etc. What used to incur a fix-it ticket now warrants a citation. No doubt this 'violation' will be written up more frequently, just as using a cell phone while driving will be.

Just ordered a bean-bag mount for my ride....

Last edited:
In my little neck of the woods I don't think much will be done about it, same a using a cell phone, see that everyday and even the CHP talks on cell phones while patrolling..........:D

Ask a Question