Anyone ever have this appear on their screen??

TomTom Model(s)
GO510/710 + XXL530•S + XXL550•T
This comes on the screen shortly after the start-up splash screen....when the map appears but disappears after a few seconds and it pops up occasionally during use and disappears as quickly as it appears:

306607537.jpg

I'm referring to the red rectangular box that says: "Unable to store settings: File access error".

Any suggestions on how to clear this up or should I leave well enough alone since the GO510 is working just fine.

My first thought is the reference to 'settings'. There is a file, 'mapsettings.cfg', kept in the map folder. Is your map on a sd card? Can you see whether that file is in the folder? If on a sd card, have you set it to lock by any chance such that the unit can read data from the map folder but not write to it?

If the map folder (and the .cfg file) are in internal memory, perhaps try the Clear Flash tool here:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4

Finally, have to tried a pin reset?

My first thought is the reference to 'settings'. There is a file, 'mapsettings.cfg', kept in the map folder. Is your map on a sd card? Can you see whether that file is in the folder? If on a sd card, have you set it to lock by any chance such that the unit can read data from the map folder but not write to it?

If the map folder (and the .cfg file) are in internal memory, perhaps try the Clear Flash tool here:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4

Finally, have to tried a pin reset?

Yes, my map is on the SD card that came with the unit. I've ordered a 2 GB card that should be here soon.

"Can you see whether that file is in the folder? If on a sd card, have you set it to lock by any chance such that the unit can read data from the map folder but not write to it?"

Where do I find the folder?? Lock an SD card??? Didn't know that it could be locked.

Pin re-set = did that and it didn't fix anything.

Did the 'Clear Flash' tool thing too and still the same pop-up. Oh well...guess I have to live with it. As long as the unit gets me to where I've got to go.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Where do I find the folder?? Lock an SD card??? Didn't know that it could be locked.

Do you have a card reader for the sd card? If so, use Windows Explorer to examine the contents of the card. There should be a map folder with the mapsettings.cfg in it. If no card reader, then put the card in the unit, connect to the computer. Again, use Explorer to examine the contents. (Explorer should 'see' both the unit and the card as two separate storage devices.)

Ask a Question