Annoying sounds

TomTom Model(s)
930T and XXL
I just received the cable for my ipod and hooked the unit up. Cannot use this set up because as soon as I plug my dc adapter into the tomtom there is a hiss and a hum. yes both of them, coming through the aux speakers. When I unplug the dc power cable it goes away. there are two 12 v outlets nearby but either causes the noise. Anyone got any ideas? I have rerouted cables etc and nothing solves the problem. Getting tired of droopy mounts that are supposed to be replaced and have not, weird noises over my sound system, and a unit that turns on but not off with the key.

Sorry to hear about this drledger.
I also have an Ipod cable, but I've never used the cig light charger on my 910.
I heard about a complaint list to TomTom about getting a firmwire for the x10 to turn off when the engine turns off. I personally like to manually turn my unit off. I'm sometimes on the phone when I arrive to my destinations and I don't want the unit to turn off on me.

Let me add an update. When I plug the power cord into the dc of the vehicle I the 910 loses the satellites. I called tomtom support today but the young lady had no answers for my overdue mount or the hum. Somebody further up the food chain is supposed to call but I could not get her to give me a time frame. I will post a follow up.

Last edited:
Solved

Never could get an answer from TOMTOM about either my mount that was supposely to be shipped sometime ago or the hum. Found on another website the solution and it was so very simple. Install a ground loop isolator between the audio output of the 910 windshield mount and the aux input of the stereo. Stopped the noise instantly. Here is a link for one example of an isolator and the one I purchased.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?&productId=2062214
These are also available from a lot of electronic stores or audio shops. I am removing the rca plugs and replacing the four with two mini stereo plugs that will make a nicer install. The unit from Radio Shack only comes with one "Y" adapter and most will need two. The two mini stereo plugs cost the same as the adapter. You will need some soldering skills and a little finese as the wires are rather tiny.

Last edited:
Sweet. what is the link to the site you saw the solution?
Also, could you post some pictures of this setup?

Got the install done today and while it is neat and there are no cables showing I just do not like it in its present location. I have a camry 2007 hybrid and there is a space below the ac and radio. Too low and too far back for safety and convenience. The installer said that he would move the unit for free if I chose and that I will do next week. When I am comfortable I will post pictures.

just use a line noise filter

I just received the cable for my ipod and hooked the unit up. Cannot use this set up because as soon as I plug my dc adapter into the tomtom there is a hiss and a hum. yes both of them, coming through the aux speakers. When I unplug the dc power cable it goes away. there are two 12 v outlets nearby but either causes the noise. Anyone got any ideas? I have rerouted cables etc and nothing solves the problem. Getting tired of droopy mounts that are supposed to be replaced and have not, weird noises over my sound system, and a unit that turns on but not off with the key.

just buy the line noise filter from crutchfield. it goes between the tomtom and your car aux input. no more noise, even if the car charger is plugged in.

try this

google or ebay PAC Audio SNI-1/3.5 Ground Loop Isolator & Noise Filter

Ask a Question