Go 910, Annoying issue, map view auto-sizing. Any way to control?

I've had this Go 910 for years now and having had 2 other Garmin GPS devices before this one, to me one of the most annoying features with the 910 is that when in "street view", I'm unable to keep the map size to whatever I'd like it to be. If I want to expand the map to view a larger viewing area, it always automatically re sizes back in seconds and there are times when I'd prefer it just stay on an expanded area view.
Anyone here know if that's possible?

Another very annoying thing about this GPS compared to a Garmin is that it doesn't automatically shut off when the power is disconnected. I have to manually press the power button. Anyone know if there's a cure for that?

There should be a setting under battery preference to shut off when external power is lost.

You can turn auto zoom on or off but you can't stop it from returning from auto zoom mode if on.

Hi,
I just re-checked. I see no battery preference setting anywhere nor do I see an "auto-zoom" setting. I looked at the "guided tour" also and it says you can zoom the map in or out temporarily with its +/- buttons (which I know) but that it always re-sizes. That's what I find annoying.
Any known updates fix either issue?

Do you have 'show more menu options' selected? And what version application do you have (tap the satellite bars to see).

I may be mistaken .... often am .... but thought all units running the latest application have the battery saving options.

You have a very old application (2 yrs or so).

Try updating the application using Home and see if you get more options.

OK, now version 6.525 (latest) and still no new features. I guess that's just the way it is then.

I have a 910. It is at least three screens into the menu I think but I have an icon for battery and then after you get into it there is a check box for OFF when power is disconnected.

Maybe mine's an early version or something because it's just not there. 3 pages of initial settings, 7 pages of user preferences yet nothing about battery shut off.

The latest application version for the 910 is 7.903. Install Home 2.7 from here (if you don't already have that version), and try updating it again.

However, be warned that recent version of the application disabled the auto-power-on.

Hmmm, is there anyway to know if the latest version will actually improve anything? I'm concerned about losing auto-on but maybe if I knew I'd get auto-off plus something else, I might be tempted.

Gotta say that I'm surprized that TomTom hasn't perfected the things I've mentioned here because I know older Garmins had everything working long ago.

I've had this Go 910 for years now and having had 2 other Garmin GPS devices before this one, to me one of the most annoying features with the 910 is that when in "street view", I'm unable to keep the map size to whatever I'd like it to be. If I want to expand the map to view a larger viewing area, it always automatically re sizes back in seconds and there are times when I'd prefer it just stay on an expanded area view.
Anyone here know if that's possible?

Well, at least on the GO you can shut off auto-zooming.

I just found out on the ONE that this can't even be done! Can you believe it? Who the heck would make an awful feature like this and not allow it to be disabled?

My TomTom is going back to the store if there's no update which fixes this.

Well, at least on the GO you can shut off auto-zooming.

I just found out on the ONE that this can't even be done! Can you believe it? Who the heck would make an awful feature like this and not allow it to be disabled?

My TomTom is going back to the store if there's no update which fixes this.

I doubt there will be an update to this. I'd recommend returning your ONE, and getting either a GO or another brand.

I didn't like auto-zoom at first, but have grown used to it. With auto-zoom, you really can't see surrounding roads so you have to just "trust" Tomtom directions. On an IQroutes model the directions are usually perfect so there's no reason you can't trust the directions.

Ask a Question