Annoying Messages after recent update

TomTom Model(s)
1605TM
I had the Via 1605 TM for a couple of months and it worked flawlessly right out of the box. I get an email from TomTom that a new map is ready to download. Update took about 45 minutes.

The first day I use the updated GPS. I plug it in, start my truck and I get a message reminding me there may be a new map to download....no big deal. Then I program my first stop but before I can confirm the address I get a message reminding me there may be a new map to download. I'm thinking there is no way this will be permanent. I drive a few miles, stop for a cup of coffee, turn my truck back on and I get a message reminding me there may be a new map to download.

Since I use the GPS an average of 15 addresses a day I get a message reminding me there may be a new map to download 30+ times a day. Is there a way to make those reminder messages go away? It is the difference between a GPS I love and a GPS I'm taking back to Costco.

There is no way to turn that message off but it is NOT normal to be seeing it as often as you describe.

There is no way to turn that message off but it is NOT normal to be seeing it as often as you describe.
I agree. That behavior is completely different than I have seen on any of my devices.

Pure speculation - and probably wrong, since I have no experience base with this issue - I wonder if this behavior might happen if the set-up option of "Show Tips" is selected. I have this turned off on my own devices, so I don't really know if it would make a difference, but that's the only thing that comes to mind that might explain the very different behavior.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

This seems to be a new issue. My son bought a new TomTom GPS (don't know the model number) two weeks ago and was asking me if I knew how to disable that same message. I had no idea. He had already disabled the tips.

Now, after an upgrade three days ago, my TomTom GO 2535TM has started displaying the same message. Twice for each address I enter. This is extremely annoying. Has anyone figured out how to get rid of this?

@Jlmendez
Could you check that unit's version information (at "Me and my device"), to see what application version that unit is running now after the update?

Thanks, Jlmendez. This problem isn't common, but you're certainly not the first to encounter it. I've seen it on a Via 130 unit I'm working with here, too. It seemed to go away after a few days. Not sure why.

Somebody posted on the British site that a drum reset stopped the message from repeatedly appearing on a UK model.

That's definitely worth a try.

@Jlmendez
dhn is recommending that you press and hold the power button on your 2535 until you see the TomTom logo and hear the drums start to play. Immediately release the button. That performs a reset on the unit.

I performed a drum reset and nothing changed...still getting the multiple messages.

I posted a review on Amazon.com that I was experiencing this problem after the update. I did get a reply from a TomTom community manager saying this wasn't normal and to send a message to TomTom support and they would look into it. I replied yesterday and waiting on a reply

I had already tried the reset the first day that it started displaying the message about checking for map updates. It didn't work. Now, however, on the 5th day of this issue, it suddenly stop doing it!!! Why? I don't know, but it behaved all day long (I'm currently in Europe and it's already 9 PM over here).

So thank you for the various suggestions, hopefully this won't happen again.

Somebody posted on the British site that a drum reset stopped the message from repeatedly appearing on a UK model.
I tried the hard reset the first day, and no joy :( Now, on the 5th day, It has gone away! Don't know why, but it has stopped! :)

In the discussions pages from the tomtom website, somebody contacted support and was informed of a software glitch, with a fix to the issue expected for next week.

I am deciding on 1 of 2 options here. A) Charge them for advertising as it is MY device and they have no right to bombard me with adverts when I never gave permission or B) Report them to Ofcom. I have taken on big organisations before and have won

The original bug reported here was since fixed with a software update back in 2012.

Ask a Question