ok this is annoying, when i zoom in , it will zoom back out automaticly!!!!

is there a way to keep the camera zoomed in ? everytime i zoom in to where i like to see the roads, the damn thing a couple seconds later zooms back out

is there a way to keep the camera zoomed in ? everytime i zoom in to where i like to see the roads, the damn thing a couple seconds later zooms back out

Nope. TomTom coded the software to default to preset zoom (most likely for performance reasons)

pft then whats the point of zooming in and having those controls if its just going to zoom out

pft then whats the point of zooming in and having those controls if its just going to zoom out

It allows you to 'zoom in' (or out) to look at something briefly, but as Birdman says, it's for performance issues that it goes back to the programmed setting.

An alternative is to go to the Menu, select Browse Map, click on the GPS icon in the corner to center your view on your current location.

Now you can zoom in/out all you want without the auto un-zoom "feature".

An alternative is to go to the Menu, select Browse Map, click on the GPS icon in the corner to center your view on your current location.

Now you can zoom in/out all you want without the auto un-zoom "feature".
Then you have to keep re-centering the map on your position when you drive off the map, though, right?

LOL :D I like the auto zoom feature, because if I zoom in or out, it's only to look at something for a short time, then I want the map back to the way it was because that's the best way to view it while I'm on a route.

I'm also irritated with the forced zoom level. I like to see more of the map and have it scroll continuously as I drive, like my PDA nav system does. Pisses me off that I can't choose a zoom level to keep it at....:(

I'm also irritated with the forced zoom level. I like to see more of the map and have it scroll continuously as I drive, like my PDA nav system does. Pisses me off that I can't choose a zoom level to keep it at....:(
You could look at the map browser while you drive, but you have to recenter it as you drove off of the screen.

Like everybody else, I find this annoying also. Its hard to tell where I am on the GPS screen when its zoomed out. I like to keep it zoomed in so I see the streets around me, that way its bigger and easier to see... otherwise its very hard to navigate..

A lot of the time Im driving around and just want to see roads that go around where I am, and its difficult.

I got this for my work vehicle, so it'll work. But i popped this in my truck, which has an in-dash navi system. The tomtom was just as acurate, only more annoying with the zooming feature.

I'm afraid that the map browse feature only works in your home region. I'm rather disappointed that I can't get a larger overview of an area when travelling. The only thing that I've found to work is to ask for directions home and then browse the map to get a larger map and overview of your current area. It's not very easy or intuitive while driving. Anyone have a better workaround?

I'm afraid that the map browse feature only works in your home region. I'm rather disappointed that I can't get a larger overview of an area when travelling. The only thing that I've found to work is to ask for directions home and then browse the map to get a larger map and overview of your current area. It's not very easy or intuitive while driving. Anyone have a better workaround?
The browse map feature only works in your home area? What do you mean by that :confused:

I've seen that as an option on one of the other models (maybe 720?) - where you can turn the auto zoom on/off. Guess it's another feature stripped from the One to sell at this price point. But I like the autozoom and would leave it on anyway......

I've seen that as an option on one of the other models (maybe 720?) - where you can turn the auto zoom on/off. Guess it's another feature stripped from the One to sell at this price point. But I like the autozoom and would leave it on anyway......
Me too. :D

The browse map feature only works in your home area? What do you mean by that :confused:

I travel quite a bit and would like to occasionally use the "browse map" feature to zoom out and get an overview of the route and area. When I'm near home this feature works quite well. But when I've travelled away from the area and go to "browse map" it centers me in my home area - in my case, Salem, OR. For example, yesterday I was near Byron, IL and on the way toward O'Hare but wanted to see how close I was to I-55 since there was a client near there. I wanted to use the browse feature but it reverted the map center to my home area. However, If I asked it to chart a course to "home" I could hit the browse feature and it would then give me a map with my current location centered instead of home - but ony if I had asked it to chart a course home instead of a destination near my present location. In a strange city (such as Toronto) I'd like to have the feature available to see an area overview. OK - I'll be the first to admit that's why the rent a car companies give you a map but it would be nice to have the GPS do that for you.

Ask a Question