Altitude Display - TripMaster Lite?

Perhaps change the SLEEP value to 5. That should at least show up flashing. Just try that, for my sanity sake ;)

I set SLEEP to 5 (I had it at 10 earlier) and still no altimeter reading.

Unfortunately I dont know french. The french readme.txt file has some info re. the installation that wasn't in the English version (see below)

Do any of you know what the following means? This is from the French version of the readme.txt file:
------------------------------------------------
2- INSTALLATION DE L'APPLICATION :

Pour installer l'application proc?der comme suit :

- Extraire les fichiers se trouvant dans l'archive avec les r?pertoires dans un dossier temporaire sur le pc.

cleanup.txt
/opt/bin/altitude
/opt/bin/altitude_on
/opt/bin/altitude_off
/opt/etc/altitude.ini
/opt/tmp/altoff
/sdkregistry

Raccorder le tomtom avec son cable usb.

Si dans le tomtom vous avez d?j? un fichier cleanup.txt alors
il faut rajouter le contenu du fichier cleanup fourni avec altitude
? la suite du fichier cleanup.txt du tomtom Pour cela, le bloc note suffit.

Si dans le tomtom vous n'avez pas un fichier cleanup.txt alors copier directement
le fichier cleanup fourni avec altitude ? la racine de votre GO

Copier le dossier opt dans la racine du tomtom

Last edited:
The English instructions that I put in the 'Readme' file include all the vital information found in the French 'LisezMoi' file. Trust me!;)

I'm really at a loss as to why a couple of you cannot get the program to display. You seem to have done everything right.:confused:

For what it's worth, I'm using a TT ONE v1 with firmware 6.560

Last edited:
46jimbo, thanks. I guess I shall wait for TomTom to include an altitude option in a future release - though I shall not hold my breath!

Trey, have you had any better luck?

I didn't try editing the ".ini" file yet. I'll try it and post results. But I have watched screen continuously after it flashes that it is starting up altimeter, yet nothing else happens..... so I don't think changes to intervals will matter....

Well, tell us if you were successful or not. I can tell you that when I change it that display comes up in a couple of seconds.

I set SLEEP to 5 (I had it at 10 earlier) and still no altimeter reading.

Unfortunately I dont know french. The french readme.txt file has some info re. the installation that wasn't in the English version (see below)

Do any of you know what the following means? This is from the French version of the readme.txt file:

Translated in English using Google Translate:

------------------------------------------------
2 - INSTALLATION OF THE APPLICATION:

To install the application to proceed as follows: - To extract the files being in the file with the repertories in a temporary file on the PC.

cleanup.txt
/opt/bin/altitude
/opt/bin/altitude_on
/opt/bin/altitude_off
/opt/etc/altitude.ini
/opt/tmp/altoff
/sdkregistry

To connect the tomtom with its cable usb.

If in the tomtom you then have already a cleanup.txt file it is necessary to add the contents of the file cleanup provided with altitude following the cleanup.txt file of the tomtom For that, the memo pad is enough.

If in the tomtom you do not have a cleanup.txt file then to directly copy the file cleanup provided with altitude to the root of your GO

To copy the file opt in the root of the tomtom

Just for the record, I have been unable to get the altitude program to work either. My 910 starts up with the program name and release numbers flashing and then when I activate it back to the main screen with altitude enabled but then nothing. Made the time changes too.

46jimbo, thanks. I guess I shall wait for TomTom to include an altitude option in a future release - though I shall not hold my breath!

Trey, have you had any better luck?

No---same thing. Says it's started, but nothing ever flashes after that. Can't figure it out. Maybe tripmaster or suntime interferring. I may remove and start from scratch.... will let you know.

For what it's worth, I have TripMaster and OffRoad on my TT - no interference! And TripMaster displays exactly the same altitude reading as Altitude.

By the way, Nyer, what firmware version are you running?

Just for the record, I have been unable to get the altitude program to work either. My 910 starts up with the program name and release numbers flashing and then when I activate it back to the main screen with altitude enabled but then nothing. Made the time changes too.

There are two things I notice for me to have the program running.

First, you need to have the cleanup.txt in the root direcotry of the SD card.

Second have the following configuration:

RUN=YES
SLEEP=30
DISPLAY=4000
PRECISION=10
UNITE=TOUTES
CORRECTION_GEOIDE=Non
DELTA_ALTITUDE=0
LANGUAGE=EN

Notice how the options are in capitals, I found that it worked better for me when I did this. As soon as I start-up my TT, I get a the legal notice and at the top right I get an altitude reading both in meters and feet.

When I stop it, it says Altimeter suspended. When I start it, it says Altimeter started. At that point I just wait roughly 30 seconds and it pops up.

For what it's worth, I have TripMaster and OffRoad on my TT - no interference! And TripMaster displays exactly the same altitude reading as Altitude.

46jimbo, do you have suntime? I use suntime and it uses the cleanup.txt. Altitude needs cleanup.txt to run. If, I don't have cleanup.txt I don't get any readings at all.

I tried playing with the configuration of the cleanup.txt:

daemon|suntime/suntime|deamon|opt/bin/altitude|

Doesn't work. I get the waking suntime but no altitude reading right after. Even if I stop and start it...nothing.

deamon|opt/bin/altitude|deamon|suntime/suntime|

Not sure if the above works well. I get the altitude reading on startup but no waking suntime message. I remember it worked before when I first installed Altitude with Suntime but it doesn't seem to now

deamon|opt/bin/altitude|
deamon|suntime/suntime|

The above does not work as when I start up my TT, it just hangs on the splash screen. I have to reset to get out.

Does anyone have multiple applications that uses cleanup.txt and work properly?

App 6.520 with map v665.1293

This is what my cleanup.txt file contains:
daemon|opt/bin/altitude|

My altitude file (in opt\etc\) contains the following code:
;RUN= YES => ex?cution de altitude en tache de fond
;RUN=No : pas d'?xceution de l'affichage de l'altitude
;SLEEP=intervalle=> affichage de l'alitude toutes les 'intervalle' secondes
;DISPLAY=nnnnn : dur?e de l'affichage du message en milli?mes de secondes
;PRECISION : nombres de lectures gps pour d?terminer l'altitude moyenne, par d?faut=5
;UNITE=PIEDS : affiche l'alitude en pieds
;UNITE=METRES : affiche l'alitude en metres (par d?faut)
;UNITE=TOUTES : affiche l'alitude en metres et en pieds
;LANGUAGE=FR : or IT for italian and EN for English
RUN=YES
SLEEP=5
DISPLAY=9000
PRECISION=10
UNITE=PIEDS
CORRECTION_GEOIDE=Non
DELTA_ALTITUDE=0
LANGUAGE=EN

Previously the code included RUN=Oui, but I changed that to RUN=YES, but that had no effect either!

Last edited:
App 6.520 with map v665.1293

This is what my cleanup.txt file contains:
daemon|opt/bin/altitude|

My altitude file (in opt\etc\) contains the following code:
;RUN= YES => ex?cution de altitude en tache de fond
;RUN=No : pas d'?xceution de l'affichage de l'altitude
;SLEEP=intervalle=> affichage de l'alitude toutes les 'intervalle' secondes
;DISPLAY=nnnnn : dur?e de l'affichage du message en milli?mes de secondes
;PRECISION : nombres de lectures gps pour d?terminer l'altitude moyenne, par d?faut=5
;UNITE=PIEDS : affiche l'alitude en pieds
;UNITE=METRES : affiche l'alitude en metres (par d?faut)
;UNITE=TOUTES : affiche l'alitude en metres et en pieds
;LANGUAGE=FR : or IT for italian and EN for English
RUN=YES
SLEEP=5
DISPLAY=9000
PRECISION=10
UNITE=PIEDS
CORRECTION_GEOIDE=Non
DELTA_ALTITUDE=0
LANGUAGE=EN

Previously the code included RUN=Oui, but I changed that to RUN=YES, but that had no effect either!

I am really at a loss. I don't know why that wouldn't work. Sorry nyer, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps the GO300 is not compatible? I suggest using Tripmaster haha

For Trey it should work though because we all have ONE units.

I guess 46jimbo and I will be the only ones enjoying the program :(

digital-flex, thank you for the translation.

No problem. Cut and pasting is easy hehe :D

Digital-Flex, I uninstalled Altimeter and installed TripMeter. It works great, and the altitude readings flash on the map display when the TripMeter is working in the back ground. Thank you all for your patience.

Hehe...that's great. I guess Altimeter wasn't meant to be :D

Hey all -

I got it to work by changing the UNITE from "PIEDS(FEET)" to "TOUTES (METERS & FEET)" as in Digital-Flex's example.

When I change it to "PIEDS" again, it doesn't work. When change to "TOUTES", it works.

I would rather have only "feet", but I guess I'll take "feet and meters" as it works that way.

Hey all -

I got it to work by changing the UNITE from "PIEDS(FEET)" to "TOUTES (METERS & FEET)" as in Digital-Flex's example.

When I change it to "PIEDS" again, it doesn't work. When change to "TOUTES", it works.

I would rather have only "feet", but I guess I'll take "feet and meters" as it works that way.

WOOT! Glad to hear it Trey. Perhaps nyer can make the same change if still wants to use it?!

Don't worry nyer, I know you uninstalled Altitude and are using Tripmaster so you don't have to do this ;)

Worked on it after church today and by selecting both it does function properly. However when I got to 46jimbo's site to download his english corrected version the server lists the file size as 0 and of course downloads a file with nothing. I used the french version and it works fine but the icons for start and stop are in french. I removed it however and installed tripmaster. I am not sure I quite understand all about it but I did get altitude to display when it was running in the background.

Last edited:
Worked on it after church today and by selecting both it does function properly. However when I got to 46jimbo's site to download his english corrected version the server lists the file size as 0 and of course downloads a file with nothing. I used the french version and it works fine but the icons for start and stop are in french.

In the sdkregistry folder there is a altimetre_off.cap and altimetre_on.cap, open those files in note pad and you get something like this:

Versioff|100|
AppName|altitude_off|
AppPath|/mnt/sdcard/opt/bin/|
AppIcoffFile|altimetre_off.bmp|
AppMainTitle|Arr?te l'altim?tre|
AppPort|2001|
COMMAND|CMD|altitude_off|altimetre_off.bmp|Arr?te l'altim?tre|

AppIcoffFile|altimetre_off.bmp|
1. Change the *.bmp file name to match the icon file you want i.e. yo_altimetre_off.bmp or jckator_altimetre_off.bmp

COMMAND|CMD|altitude_off|altimetre_off.bmp|Arr?te l'altim?tre|
2. Match the *.bmp file name to whatever you choose in step 1
3. Change the 'Arr?te l'altim?tre' to English i.e. Stop Altimeter

You need to do the same thing for the altimetre_on.cap file.

Ask a Question