Altitude Display - TripMaster Lite?

TomTom Model(s)
GO300
I know that TTs do not display altitude (at least not my GO300) and that the addon software named TripMaster will. TripMaster seems to have a load of features, but all I want is altitude display without the complexity of the full TripMaster program. Is there any utility that will just enable altitude displays? Perhaps we could encourage the creators of TripMaster to create a new utility for this purpose? Thanks in advance.

I am using and like this program a lot. So I did a bit of editing of the files to create an English version. I've uploaded it here:

http://www.fastdump.net/936881-Altitude30.zip

Just copy all files and folders to the root directory of your TomTom.

If you already have a 'SkdRegistry' folder, then just add the contents of this one to it.

Same goes for the file 'cleanup.txt'. If you already have one, use Notepad to edit it and add the contents of this file to the next line.

Operation.

Altitude runs invisibly in the background. Every 20 seconds or so, a small window at the top right of your navigation screen will open, flashing the altitude.

There are menu icons for turning the program off and on. The TomTom seems to remember if it was on or off when you last shut down, and keeps that state the next time you turn your unit on.

Accuracy is less good when you are standing still, so test it out while moving.

I am using and like this program a lot. So I did a bit of editing of the files to create an English version. I've uploaded it here:

If you already have a 'SkdRegistry' folder, then just add the contents of this one to it.

Same goes for the file 'cleanup.txt'. If you already have one, use Notepad to edit it and add the contents of this file to the next line.

Nice work, I remember when I was fooling around with this program it took me awhile to get the icons in english...haha

Curious though, do you (or anyone else in the forum) know how to make it so the there is only one icon? I want it to be like when you turn on/off the sound. My main menu is cluttered already with custom apps and I want to keep it to a minimum number of pages.

46jimbo, I downloaded the zip file and extracted it to a directory on my C drive and then copied the 'opt' directory, the 'sdkregistry' directory and the cleanup.txt file to the root directory of the SD card using a card reader. I did not have an 'opt' nor a 'sdkregistry' directory, nor a cleanup.txt file in my root drive prior to this (Is this unusual?).

After installing the SD card in my GO300 I backed up the GO300 and then took it for a drive. On page 4 of 4 of the main menu I found the icon to turn on the altimeter. Touching that took me to the main navigational screen (with the map). Then as I drove around I kept an eye on the screen and ... well, no altimeter readings ever appeared! So I went back and touched the turn on altimeter icon and again despite driving around for five minutes I did not get any altimeter readings. My GPS Status screen indicated that I had 8 sats being monitored - which I reckon should be enough to get decent altitude readings. So am I doing something wrong here? Please help.:confused:

Not having the 'opt', 'sdkregistry', and the cleanup.txt is normal.

The 'opt' directory is where the program files are stored.

The 'sdkregistry' directory is for custom icon files

The 'cleanup.txt' is a file that TomTom reads at bootup to auto start applications.

Now, if I remember correctly when you turn it on you should get an alitutude reading in meters on the top right corner. The message is similar to that of when you start you TomTom and get the 'Welcome to TomTom ONE' flashing.

Now, if I remember correctly when you turn it on you should get an alitutude reading in meters on the top right corner. The message is similar to that of when you start you TomTom and get the 'Welcome to TomTom ONE' flashing.

I shall try again tomorrow. Too late to go out tonight. By the way will it do the altitude in feet if the tomtom's settings are for the Imperial (miles, feet etc.) system?

I shall try again tomorrow. Too late to go out tonight. By the way will it do the altitude in feet if the tomtom's settings are for the Imperial (miles, feet etc.) system?

Looking at the altitude.ini file, 46jimbo has left it as feet so you don't have to change anything.

You can change the behaviour of the program by editing the altitude.ini folder found in \opt\etc\altitude.ini. Just open it in notepad. It's in french but if you are familiar with editing .ini files you should be ok.

Just post if you are having troubles.

Nyer, it seems you are doing everything right, so I don't understand why it's not working for you yet.

As for the units, as Digital-Flex has mentioned, you can edit the .ini file with Notepad and change the word after UNITES=

The choices are 'Pieds' (Feet), 'Metres' and 'Toutes' (feet and metres). I have set it to display 'feet' because most forum members use that. Personally, I have it display both units.

Good luck with this.

Last edited:
Y'all, thanks for the assistance. Earlier today on the way to work I tried getting this to work - but to no avail. On the way back in the evening I decided that I should try turning off the program and restarting it. So I went to screen 4 of 4 and touched the icon for turning off Altitude. It immediately took me to the main map page and a small text box flashed in the top right corner with the message 'Altitude suspended'. Next when I tapped the icon to start the program the text box flashed 'Altitude startup' (or something like that). HOWEVER, no altitude display ever showed up. Perhaps I should try sticking a sharp pin into the underside of my TomTom. I shall let you know.

Did a soft reset, but no altitude display yet (though I do get the Suspend Altimeter and Startup Altimeter displays when I stop and start the Sltimeter program).

Did a soft reset, but no altitude display yet (though I do get the Suspend Altimeter and Startup Altimeter displays when I stop and start the Sltimeter program).

Configure your altitude.ini file to this, it will display the message longer for you to see:

RUN=Oui
SLEEP=30 <-------- is the time in seconds between each display
DISPLAY=9000 <-------- is the time in seconds the message will display
PRECISION=5
UNITE=Pieds
CORRECTION_GEOIDE=Non
DELTA_ALTITUDE=0
LANGUAGE=en

It will look like this (I made it display both meters and feet):
AltitudeScreenShot.jpg

The readout on the right is not static (just flashes and goes away) and the duration of the display is dependent on the configuration in the altitude.ini

Last edited:

I downloaded this program and have same issue. It flashes that is has started, but never shows altitude as in digital-flex's screen shot..... Wonder what we have done wrong?

I downloaded this program and have same issue. It flashes that is has started, but never shows altitude as in digital-flex's screen shot..... Wonder what we have done wrong?

When it start, you need to wait roughly 30 seconds (the default time) before the altitude flashes on the right.

What I did was make the Altitude disaply longer by changing the 'Display' setting in the altitude.ini file.

Browse to the \opt\etc\ on your SD card (or hard drive if using TT910) and you should see the altitude.ini file. Open that in notepad and you should see the 'DISPLAY=4000' setting, change the 4000 something higher like 9000. This will make the altitude display longer (stay on the screen).

OR

You can change the 'SLEEP=30' to a value lower than 30 such as 10 so the altitude displays more frequently.

Thank you digital-flex. I shall try out your instructions when I get home. You folks are very generous with your time and assistance. I thank you all. Hopefully I can get the thing to work.

Thank you digital-flex. I shall try out your instructions when I get home. You folks are very generous with your time and assistance. I thank you all. Hopefully I can get the thing to work.

No problem. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Moved to the 3rd Party Forum

Last edited:
Hi Digital-Flex, I found the altitude.ini file exactly where you said it would be and edited it as you suggested and after putting the SD card back into the tomtom I restarted the tomtom, switched off and then turned on the altitude program and still no altitude display. I wonder whether Trey was successful?

Perhaps there is some other setting on my GO300 that is interfering with this program. I tried both 2D and 3D displays, with and without destinations, standing still and moving, etc. I hope they introduce altimeter readings into the next release of tt's software. Thank you once again for your time. I hope that this issue has not used up too much of your time.

Hi Digital-Flex, I found the altitude.ini file exactly where you said it would be and edited it as you suggested and after putting the SD card back into the tomtom I restarted the tomtom, switched off and then turned on the altitude program and still no altitude display. I wonder whether Trey was successful?

It's my pleasure to help.

hmmm...not sure why its not working. Perhaps change the SLEEP value to 5. That should at least show up flashing.

Just try that, for my sanity sake ;)

btw, the altitude comes up whether your moving or not. I was sitting at my desk testing the program out when it showed the meters and feet. :D

I didn't try editing the ".ini" file yet. I'll try it and post results. But I have watched screen continuously after it flashes that it is starting up altimeter, yet nothing else happens..... so I don't think changes to intervals will matter....

Ask a Question