Altitude display in a TT?

TomTom Model(s)
910 w iPod & Razr connections
GPS receivers calculate position in 3 dimensions, although they're not very good at altitude calculation. I knew that, and I checked the manual for my 910 and then Googled it to see if there was any built in capability. I found a hack that's supposed to install it in a x00 model, at this guy's site:
http://www.ilpiola.it/roberto/tomtom/

So I downloaded it and installed it in the 910. It froze, unresponsive to shutoff and touchscreen but thankfully not to the USB connection to my Mac. It took maybe 10 resets and two restores before it would act normally.

So I'll wait for him to work it out for the x10 models before I try it again. He admitted it's not too accurate, not like, say, an etrex with built-in aneroid barometer.

But if a braver soul makes it work in a new TT, maybe they'll post the how-to here.

altimeter works!

It's not elegant. It doesn't put an altitude display next to the speed, where I think it would belong if it were accurate. It puts up two additions to the menu, creating a fourth page in the 910, one to change units, the other to display. Right now it's reading about 1023 feet above sea level. It believe that's 60 feet low for this spot in south central Michigan.

I had installed some POIs from this forum and encountered some of the same problems I'd encountered with the altimeter files. I realized from the POI installation I hadn't waited long enough for the 910 to reboot. The POIs came up, although they aren't very handy for my area.

So I reinstalled the altimeter files and this time waited a little longer for the reboot.

Took another look at the altimeter readout. It's varying between 1100 and 1040 feet in less than a minute with four satellites in view.

I just installed it on my 510 without problems. Just so to clarify that it should work on all X10s. =)
Tripmaster works on all x10 models. It also works on all older GO models if they are upgraded to V6.12 or higher.

I have used Tripmaster a lot, it is a fantastic addition to TomTom. I was driving a 5000 mile trip in the US in July, and I logged all the trip with Tripmaster. I logged time, position and altitude each 30 second for the whole trip. When I came home I imported the log-files to Google Earth and looked at it. It's a great way to save a memory of a trip.

By the way, version 1.4 of Tripmaster is coming in a very short time with several new things. I have been beta-testing, and it looks good:D

Great, thanks for sharing some valuable info, I am sure alot of our members are interested in this Tripmaster, if you can it would be awesome if you can post it on our contribution subforums. Thanks!!

Installed 6.51 and can`t seem to get tripmaster to run at all.
That's right. Tripmaster and other 3rd party software does NOT work with V6.51. The reason is that they have to be compiled with TomTom SDK V6.51, and TomTom has not released that yet.:mad:

I contacted TomTom and the answer was just "We are not responsible for Tripmaster". I think that they should release a new version of the SDK BEFORE they release a new version of TomTom software so that 3rd party developers could have their programs upgraded!

Decided to reinstall 6.11 after installing 6.51, got back controll of cameras and all 3rd party applications, and surprisingly now have TMC and TomTom Car Connect stored on the 910. Running 6.11 with 4.31 Boot.
Only thing I don`t have is the new suspend splash.

This is interesting! How would one know if they have TMC and Car connect on their unit. Is there a TMC icon when upgrading to 6.51?

Question, if the two folders are the key could you not open the download and simply paste those two folders to tomtom or is that not possible. I am still looking at getting on and off with the ignition again and was wondering if there might be help this way. BTW tomtom says they have no plans to return the on/off because of some problems with the mount not properly holding the unit in the dock.

Decided to reinstall 6.11 after installing 6.51, got back controll of cameras and all 3rd party applications, and surprisingly now have TMC and TomTom Car Connect stored on the 910. Running 6.11 with 4.31 Boot.
Only thing I don`t have is the new suspend splash.

Where did you gat 6.11 to re-install? TomTom made 6.02 available as a download, but 6.11 was downloaded through home.

Ask a Question