Display altitude on 920 or other model tomtom?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
Hi
am new to gps. does anyone know if TT plans to add an display altitude feature to the software?
i see that some writers have shareware available.

any info is appreaciates. thanks.

TT doesn't announce what additional functionality will appear in future firmware releases. My gut feeling is that showing the altitude is not high on TT's priority list --- or on many users, for that matter.

As you point out, some 3rd party programs can, in some instances, add that ability to their units.

TT doesn't announce what additional functionality will appear in future firmware releases. My gut feeling is that showing the altitude is not high on TT's priority list --- or on many users, for that matter.

As you point out, some 3rd party programs can, in some instances, add that ability to their units.

Altitude would be a function not just of the firmware, but of the map data. Since the primary focus has been on routing(how to get us from place to place), it makes sense that altitude would take a back seat. There is also the issue of how much extra space the maps would take if altitude was put in for every point on the maps.

Right now, the big maps take close to 2GB(for the North America and Western Europe maps), so picture how big they would be with yet more information that most people don't want. If you consider how much memory each unit has, this is a critical issue. Going forward, a current unit with 4GB of memory can support two large maps, which is why a 920 and 930 have BOTH Europe and North America maps on them. If the maps grow, we might have to sacrifice one of the maps.

Altitude information

Providing current altitude in a firmware update should not be a difficult challenge for TomTom. It has nothing to do with maps. Altitude can be derived through the analysis of at least 4 GPS satellites and our units typically use 8 satellites to refine our locations. Some of the inexpensive Garmin handhelds provide this service. Some of the more expensive ones use atmospheric pressure -- not possible for TomTom without a hardware change to the device.

We earlier had that capability through a 3rd party software that was developed by a member of this forum. However, I think Tripmaster (if I recall the name correctly) no longer functioned after TT changed some of its protocols. I do not know if the author has developed anything since then but I imagine when he sees these posts he will let us know.
I use a Lowrance and a Trimble to fly and I know that the altitude read out is not dependent on the maps but on the availability of satellites to calculate the altitude. WAAS has greatly improved that function also.

Ask a Question