Alternate Route Question

TomTom Model(s)
Go 510
I recently tested the alternate route function of my TT510. I was driving from Long Island, NY to South Jersey. The suggested "fastest" route took me through the tunnels to Manhattan and across the city to the Lincoln tunnel. Having done that in the past, I knew it would take forever with the traffic, so I asked for it to use an alternate route across the Verrazano Narrows bridge. It calculated the new route and off I went. Once I crossed the bridge, it told me to turn around and go back over it - and looked like it wanted me to resume the original route. I had a paper map in the car, so I turned off navigation for a while and kept going and once I had gotten far enough along in the route, it let me keep going on my chosen route rather than having me turn around.

Is there something else I could have done? Why would it tell me to turn back after crossing the bridge? (Of course, if I had known about the accident that shut down all lanes of the highway on Staten Island, I might just have willingly turned back).

Also, what is the easiest way to select an alternate route? I browsed the map until I found the bridge and clicked on it to say that I wanted to go that way. I love my new TomTom and I don't think I could have survived this week (4 cities in 4 days) without it. I just want to make sure that I get the most out of it.

Ask a Question