Advice on refurbished models please

I was looking and a 920 is about the same price as a 930 Refub (at least on Amazon.) Trying to decide which to buy. Is there much difference between them? Anyone have any knowledge about the refurbished ones and if they have problems? Thanks for any advice on which is the better deal.

You don't make clear whether the 920 is new or not. The reason I point that out is that in North America, refurbs do NOT come with the Latest Map guarantee (although some people did get it on a case by case basis). Further, refurbs only have a 6 - month warranty, not a 1 year like a new one.

Considering that a new 920 DOES come with the Latest Map Guarantee and an application update will effectively make a 920 into a 930 (with the latest map) , then I think the decision is easy. 920, if NEW.

One rather strange quirk of the TomTom updates is that you get all the files in the "Licences" folder replaced every time you update the device, this clearly states a 12 month warranty is applicable post update! - I have no way of knowing if they would honour this, in the UK we get 12 months with a refurb unit - Mike

Thanks for the replies.
The 920 is new. I'm not worried about the map updates, as I will probably sign up for the year subscription service. I'm just wondering if the 930 have any features really worth having, and if people have had problems with refurbished models.
When you said "application update will effectively make a 920 into a 930" what did you mean exactly? Surely they aren't totally the same after an update.

Last edited:
Colour of the unit and the colour scheme used for the menu are about the only changes that cannot be altered, everything else can be made the same as the 930 device with software/ file changes, most of which are automatic via Home - Mike

To be perfectly clear, as DHN indicates, they are absolutely the same device hardware wise. No graphics upgrades, same storage, same ram, same gps chipset. . . identical in every way but cosmetics and the software it shipped with. It's been just about 2 years since any hardware improvement on the Go7 or 9 series. Even my 740 has the same gps chipset and ram as the 930 I bought last year.

Thanks for the advice folks. Outside of what gets updated with Home, what other things should I make sure I update?

Firmware application (8.302 is the latest) and maps for BOTH North America and Western Europe (both at level 825).

There have been some situations are offered the latest map guarantee for ONLY NA, not Europe. If that situation happens to you, call support at 866-486-6866 and be polite BUT firm in your desire to get both maps.

Tell them you KNOW others are getting both (which is true) and, if necessary, ask for a supervisor.

Tell them you bought a 920 because it had BOTH maps. You could just have easily bought a 720 with NA only.

Good luck!

Firmware application (8.302 is the latest) and maps for BOTH North America and Western Europe (both at level 825).

There have been some situations are offered the latest map guarantee for ONLY NA, not Europe. If that situation happens to you, call support at 866-486-6866 and be polite BUT firm in your desire to get both maps.

Tell them you KNOW others are getting both (which is true) and, if necessary, ask for a supervisor.

Tell them you bought a 920 because it had BOTH maps. You could just have easily bought a 720 with NA only.

Good luck!

I got a reburished model my self..Im guessing that also DOES NOT come with an application update, and when I call in and if/when they give me the updates is it a one time thing or a constant update?

Thanks

Application updates are always free. It's the maps that you may not get the LMG with refurbs. If you do, it's a one time thing.

Application updates are always free. It's the maps that you may not get the LMG with refurbs. If you do, it's a one time thing.

Hmm intresting..I never got an application update before..I have version 8.010...Okay cool, as long as I get the latest map update for free, if anything ill just order the map update service, its pretty cheap for 4 new maps a year..

Last edited:
^^^^ True, but the map update pricing and service is based on you already having the latest map; if you don't, you may need to purchase it first, and then add your paid-for updates.

Check it out: "* Terms and Conditions *
Map Update Service starts with the latest map, so you may have to upgrade your map at a discounted price
, from this page HERE

Prior to purchasing my 720, I called Customer Service about refurbs and the LMG. Although I've seen a few people here get the LMG with a refurb, TomTom told me that if the refurb unit comes with the LMG card in the box, you're good to go and eligible for the upgrade. If it doesn't come with the card, then you can't get the LMG (some have anyway). The worst part was, there's no way to tell if a card is in the box prior to opening it, and the TomTom rep couldn't tell me why some have the card, and some didn't.

I elected not to chance this, and purchased a new unit that was on sale, and got the LMG right away.

Last edited:
^^^^ True, but the map update pricing and service is based on you already having the latest map; if you don't, you may need to purchase it first, and then add your paid-for updates.

Check it out: "* Terms and Conditions *
Map Update Service starts with the latest map, so you may have to upgrade your map at a discounted price
, from this page HERE

Prior to purchasing my 720, I called Customer Service about refurbs and the LMG. Although I've seen a few people here get the LMG with a refurb, TomTom told me that if the refurb unit comes with the LMG card in the box, you're good to go and eligible for the upgrade. If it doesn't come with the card, then you can't get the LMG (some have anyway). The worst part was, there's no way to tell if a card is in the box prior to opening it, and the TomTom rep couldn't tell me why some have the card, and some didn't.

I elected not to chance this, and purchased a new unit that was on sale, and got the LMG right away.
screw that then, my best bet is to just buy the new map for 80 bucks, or try to get the tomtom support to get me the new on for free..i havent seen any problems so far with the map im using now, plus if im going somewere i dont know i usually good map it 1st to check what the different is from the tomtom.. if i ever run into any problems in the future ill prob buy a new one, srew it now, i cant afford 8p bux just for a map. thanks tho

You don't make clear whether the 920 is new or not. The reason I point that out is that in North America, refurbs do NOT come with the Latest Map guarantee (although some people did get it on a case by case basis). Further, refurbs only have a 6 - month warranty, not a 1 year like a new one.

Considering that a new 920 DOES come with the Latest Map Guarantee and an application update will effectively make a 920 into a 930 (with the latest map) , then I think the decision is easy. 920, if NEW.

Is this TomTom's new policy? I have never had any problems getting LMG on any of my refurbished TomToms in the past.

It's been the policy of TT for about four months now, maybe more in NA. Europeans still get the LMG on refurbs.

p.s. Really nice to see you here again, sage! :)

I think there has been a very recent alteration to the policy of LMG with refurb devices, in the UK they are sold through "TotalPDA" if you scroll to the bottom of This Thread you will find some new(ish) information on refurb devices and LMG.

I guess all good things have to come to an end, although with the retailer Argos selling off its old returns stock at very low prices it might still be possible to get a new un used device that LMG will work on - Mike

One thing. You said 'most' updates are done with home. Is there others ones I need to make sure I get? Or any additions other than official ones I need to look into?

get the 920 new. Better warranty and map guarantee. But better, wait to probably last quarter for the 940 or 950. Now thats the unit to get.

Ask a Question