Adding computer voices

TomTom Model(s)
One v4
I must be doing something wrong here. I downloaded two computer voices and followed what I thought were the direction for the computer voices but maybe not. First I unzipped the files, then went to preferences and set a new location for downloads, moved the unzipped folders there and then went to install items from my computer and it doesn't find anything. Do I have to do one voice at a time and place the raw files into this folder?

Why didn't you let Home install them?

Mind you, when you switched paths, perhaps the location did not 'take' in Home so it can't find items on my computer-->Voices to install.

In any event, use can use WinRar to extract each computer voice to the Loquendotts folder on your unit.

However, do you have room on the unit for additional computer voices? Each will be about 40 megs in size.

Are you sure they are actually "computer" voices?

There are dozens of "real" (recorded) voices available on the web as well as through the "Home" software.

But the Text-to-Speech voices (the ones that TomTom call "computer" voices) are as rare as hen's teeth and are usually only available from TomTom themselves via Home. I'd be interested to hear where you can obtain more!

Until recently, TomTom used Loquendo as their TTS voice engine, and there have only ever been one or two voices officially available for each language. The new Go1000/2000 and Via models use a new engine and the choice is even more limited so far.

Well the voices I found I found in this forum...my unit only gave me the option of Susan and Simon through home. I find Susan's ssss' to be annoying when the volume gets turned up and I can see the wife getting confused with Simon since anything 0 is naught. It won't take much to get my overly anxious wife even more uptight. Here I found Dave and Kate. While I suspect Kate will be saying naught too I figured it was worth a shot. As for space, according to drive properties I have 100+MB left even after adding a ton of POI's so I should be good. As for the folder preferences it did take. I even tried putting the files alone in the folder and nothing. Was I supposed to unzip them?

Well the voices I found I found in this forum...

Ahh... were they direct links to the voices on the TomTom servers though, or just TT voices saved and uploaded to the net by someone?
I still maintain I have never seen actual TTS voices available from anywhere other then TT
Have you got any links to the forum posts?

my unit only gave me the option of Susan and Simon through home.

Home is doing some odd things recently. For example it is no longer offering the UK male voice "Simon".
I suspect TT have had a bust-up with Loquendo and the licencing deals are being tightened up.

I find Susan's ssss' to be annoying when the volume gets turned up and I can see the wife getting confused with Simon since anything 0 is naught. It won't take much to get my overly anxious wife even more uptight. Here I found Dave and Kate.

Dave and Susan are the default US English TTS voices.

Kate is the UK female TTS voice (now replaced by "Serena" on the new models that do not use Loquendo)
Simon was the UK male TTS voice from Loquendo.

As for the pronunciation issues, have you been following this long topic... How to fix poor TTS pronunciation?

I have a TT GO730 and noticed that Kate is missing and would like to continue using it. Is there a way to reinstall it?
If so can you give an idiots guide on how to do it.
Thanks in advance

Do you have TomTom "Home" installed on your PC?

If not, get it from here:
http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=16&tab=87

Once it's installed, connect the TomTom to the PC and run Home (it will usually run automatically)

Middle top item in the main screen is "Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc." Click on that and then on "Voices" (bottom left).

Then select "Computer voices".

Home will then go away and look on your TomTom and your PC to see if you've got any stored there, and if they aren't then it will give you a link to download them.

"Kate" should be listed in the default view of "recommended items" but if not, try switching the view to "all" in the drop-down box at the top of the screen.

Kate Computer voice

Andy_P
thanks for the quick replay, I do have Home and I had tried this without success.
I tried all and put Kate in the search box.
Some details of my Go 730
App 8.351
Map Western and central europe v 880.3810
I also have Aus and NZ on SD card with Western Europe
I do use Susan
I did find a cab file for Kate but I can't see how to install it so that the unit sees it.
Thanks

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Then use WinRar to extract the conents of the kate.cab file directly into into the LoquendoTTS folder on the unit.

See if it is seen then.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Then use WinRar to extract the conents of the kate.cab file directly into into the LoquendoTTS folder on the unit.

See if it is seen then.

I use Mac and Stuffit when I extract it puts it in two directories, should these over right those in Loquendo?

When I click on my LoquendoTTS folder on my 720, I see this:
internal.jpg

When I click on EngGB, I see this:
EngGB.jpg

When I click on the Kate folder, I see this:
kate.jpg

Hope it helps........

Computer voice Kate

dhn
my directory looks quite different see attached, sorry using MAC can't figure out how to paste screen shot.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,164
I don't think this is a Mac issue.....

If I look at my GO720 the folder structure looks like dhn's, but if I look at my XL.S the folder structure looks like Captain's.

(Obviously there are regional differences in the files themselves as I'm in GB)

I don't have a GOx30 model to look at, but it looks like the folder structure changed between the x20's and the x30's.

So... going back a couple of posts...
Andy_P
thanks for the quick replay, I do have Home and I had tried this without success.
I tried all and put Kate in the search box.

I wish you'd said... it would have saved me writing out the steps to do it!

So, sticking with the "Home" method for a minute....you're saying you can search for Kate within Home, but it returns no results? Or that Home offered Kate to you but it wouldn't install?

Check Home's downloads folder on your Mac for any previous voice downloads (on my PC it's C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\loquendovoice)
If there's one there that's corrupt, it might stop Home offering a fresh download.

Now onto the manual install.
What are the names of the two folders the downloaded .cab file extracts to?
If those folders already exit on the Go, I would ADD the new contents to the Go's folders rather then overwriting them.

Last edited:
Computer voice Kate

Andy_P
sorry I have had a major problem with computer and havent been able to try your suggestion, hope to over the weekend and I will get back.
Thanks to all for the help so far

Sorry for delay all up and running now.
the file in the directories are:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-29 at 07.36.38.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-01-29 at 07.36.38.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 794
  • Screen shot 2012-01-29 at 07.41.37.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-01-29 at 07.41.37.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 779
TomTom did a magical update to the OS. I had Kate, but now stuck with Jane, Bonnie, Lori, Richard, Raul,Catherine and Jacques.... ALL not to my liking. Jane is still on the TomTom as a Loquando Voice, but no longer accessible.

What gives? Any help on this issue?

Kate has been FOUND! Tomtom XXL does see Kate after the update and a reboot.

If I run the Tomtom XXL from within 'Home', no Kate. Go figure.

Sorry for the rant above, but going on a 5 day trip, and Home did a major upgrade and I was concerned that I lost dear Kate <vbg>.

Ask a Question