About to be a new TomTom owner

I've just ordered a 140-S from Dell (I saw a deal for $125 which I think is a good price).

I was more aware of the Garmin Nuvi brand, but as I did my research the features such as MapShare and IQ, as well as all the 3rd party addons I saw on this forum (and the active community), helped sway my decision, and of course the cheaper cost.

From what I've read the TeleAtlas maps are now almost as good as Garmin's. I'm in the SF bay area, can anyone comment on the quality of the maps, Mapshare corrections that apply to me, and things like speed camera and other POI's I should get.

This will be my 1st gps and I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just ordered mine

Hi

I also just ordered the 140-s from Dell also. I'm also from the bay area. Hopefully it will pick up a signal better than my last GPS from Garmin.:(

Welcome to the forum......Both of Ya...........I hate it down there in the Bay Area, spent almost 30 yrs there working in Oakland, now I tell any friends left there "I don't do Bay Area" just come on up to the foothills....:cool::D

Coverage is not as good as I expected. I get no GPS signal inside buildings and on some roads in Mountain View, which is the heart of Silicon Valley!

I haven't taken any trips yet to really test it yet.

Did you update the software? My GPS was also slow in getting a signal but when I updated the software, I can now get a signal in my apartment which I was never able to do with a Garmin. :D

Welcome to tom tom forum In the US their is no speed or red light cameras yet. It its in europe but not here. It has to do with the different states have different laws.

welcome

Welcome from me too, TomTom is a good brand , i think they are one of the best in satelite navigation !

Hope you wil enjoy your new tommie like i enjoy my "old one" :)

so welcome ..

Ask a Question