99.00 fee to get new Map

Am I the only one that thinks this is a horrible price to up date the map>??
Is there anywhere you can get a hacked map and use it?

Any discussion of getting hacked software or maps is inappropriate for respectable forums such as this. You will get no help here.

If $99 is too much for a map just buy a refurb unit and get the update for free. There are plenty around for just over $100.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8330: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

$99? That's a lot! Before I bought my TomTom the other day I took a look online and I thought I saw that new maps are around $60 CAD. Even that I find ridiculous. What about Map Corrections? Is that a paid service as well?

Gents,

I have had GPS units (this is my 2nd Tomtom out of 6 in total) for many years. The price for the maps is pretty standard and IMHO a fair price. There is lots of work that goes into producing and updating the maps to help ensuring that they are as accurate as possible. Also, keep in mind that you don't have to update unless you feel there is a benefit to you. With my Garmins I didn't update the maps for years. When I ended up looking to take a couple of long trips on vacation (Quebec and Florida) I decided to buy the new maps. My decision was also based on some major changes to the roads locally.

Since I no longer use the Garmin 60CSx for auto routing I probably won't update the maps on that for many many years to come. I have Topo maps on it also to use while Geocaching. As for the TomTom, I probably won't update them for a few years either. Just because there are new maps out doesn't mean you have to update.

My only complaint with TomTom is that there should be a way to view the map data online. Garmin allows you to view the map interactively online so you can see if you would benefit from an update.

J

I agree. TomTom should let you look at the map online before you buy so you would know if what you are looking for has been updates or worth while.

I agree. TomTom should let you look at the map online before you buy so you would know if what you are looking for has been updates or worth while.
Granted there is some lag time between TeleAtlas updating things and TomTom producing a version of those updates for their units, but you can see how far behind the power curve TeleAtlas is for a given area by visiting their site.

TeleAtlas allows you to do a "mapshare" of sorts on their site as well, and what you'll see is what's current for them. If it isn't corrected there, it's a sure bet it won't show up on your TomTom, either.

Go to www.teleatlas.com and click on "Report map changes". Work your way through to a spot you want to see in a specific country/state/whatever. In the process of viewing their map set to make a "change", you'll see what's currently there. No need to actually suggest a change, although if you've got some, it'd be nice to add them while you visit.

Ask a Question