Adapting GO1005 for Motorcycle Use (power feed?)

TomTom Model(s)
Hi

I have a handy carrier from motorcycle accessory firm GIVI which allows me to use the 1005 on my 'bike.

It is however unpowered so I am constrained to the internal battery life.

Any tips on how I can power it? I'm a competent home mechanic and can run the wiring....but the 1005 sits in a cradle and takes its power this way... Can I get a termination that will plug into the unit?

Many thanks

If I'm remembering the 1005 correctly, it has a rather peculiar connector on the bottom, does it not? There are cables around that I believe match that connection, even without the dock.

I'm not recommending this one specifically, but does it appear that this will fit your unit if undocked? http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-GO-Navigator-4UUC-001-03B-4UUC-003-01/dp/B006W4B17Y
If so, we can work from there.

If I'm remembering the 1005 correctly, it has a rather peculiar connector on the bottom, does it not? There are cables around that I believe match that connection, even without the dock.

I'm not recommending this one specifically, but does it appear that this will fit your unit if undocked? http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-GO-Navigator-4UUC-001-03B-4UUC-003-01/dp/B006W4B17Y
If so, we can work from there.

Yes, you've got the picture.

In fact I can pull the lead out of the dock and it looks like this.

Presumably, with the correct fitting I can run that straight from the bike's 12V outlet (similar too but smaller than the cigarette lighter type) - assuming there would be no protection from the cigarette socket - or do I need a protective fuse (what rating would you recommend?)

I guess there's an aftermarket version of the cable ...it's rather pricy!

Many thanks

Beware - the cigarette lighter adapter is also a voltage converter, and you must NOT try to run the unit directly from 12VDC! If you were to use the existing adapter, it is internally fused. Strange that they would include and adapter on the bike that doesn't fit anything one might wish to plug in!

The cable I showed for illustration purposes includes the RDS traffic 'egg', which is something you may not need or want. This depends a bit on whether your 1005 is already a Live model, or whether you fuss over traffic when riding.

I'm wondering if the 'GO Connect Cable' for £12.99 on this UK page >>> http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/drive/accessories/index.html along with a 1.5A 5V USB adapter in your outlet socket (if you can find something that will fit!) would do the trick?

Am curious about this socket they provide that is smaller than a normal cig lighter adapter. Is there a spec for it?

Hi,

I'm trying to find the spec of the sockets on the bike (it is a 2012 Ducati Multistrada).

Thanks

Ask a Question