930 map on a 720?

I have a question. I've been considering doing the 930 map download from Tomtom like shown in the thread. My question is, what are the chances of there being map changes between now and when they do the final new map release for the 720/920 in a couple of months?

We on this board, do not condone piracy. I suggest that if you want the v.8 maps, then you purchase them LEGALLY only.[/QUOTE

There already has been piracy going on this forum,in some form of fashion.Hacking units to do things they were not officially released to do,just to name a few.So dont give me your self righteousness,i did not POST ANY FILES or GIVE ANY LINK to any files,i just stated a fact.What he or she does with this info is up to them.

We on this board, do not condone piracy. I suggest that if you want the v.8 maps, then you purchase them LEGALLY only.[/QUOTE

There already has been piracy going on this forum,in some form of fashion.Hacking units to do things they were not officially released to do,just to name a few.So dont give me your self righteousness,i did not POST ANY FILES or GIVE ANY LINK to any files,i just stated a fact.What he or she does with this info is up to them.

No, I was just saying because I posted the SAME info a week before and it was deleted by the powers that be.....I did not mean to offend.....

Here is the basic breakdown for USA and Canada maps:

USA_and_Canada - made for 1GB units (i.e. ONE units)

North_America_2GB - made for 2GB units (i.e. GO 720/730)

North_America - made for 4GB units (i.e. GO 920/930)

This is in increasing order for size, as well as level of detail and preinstalled POI's.

As for current version numbers, v7.20 is essentially the same as v8.05 and v7.15 is the same as v8.00.

When it comes to crossover, the Rider units can be upgraded to North America maps and apparently ONE units with memory card slots can be upgraded to North America as well.

Makes sense that if you can trick the system to download a v8 map to a 720 or 920, you could enable the extra features.

A friend has the 920 and I have the 720 so I thought I would compare the 2. Both of us are running version 8.010.

720: North_America_2GB v710.1584, 1.93GB in size

920: North_America v710.1576, 1.83GB file size

At least between the x20 versions, the difference isn't so much the map size but rather the size of the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files.

I'm using the v8 maps on my 720 as well. I don't get the static images that are suppose to pop up but I do get the the arrows at the bottom of the screen telling you which lane to be on. I wish I could get the static images to pop up. It just sucks cause I bought the 720 online at a good price and then I see all this stuff about the x30 units having this.

Also just want to make one more comment which hopefully
doesn't get removed. I don't see a problem with hacking
or even using software that may be pirated, if its not available, to get a feature you
want working on your unit. Maybe tomtom will realize that there
screwing there customers and then release this software for other units.
I will gladly pay for it, paying is not an issue but until that day I guess I'll be using other means.

Last edited:

Ask a Question