GO 930 Says No Maps

TomTom Model(s)
Go 930
I upgraded my G930 as per automatic u/g advice, now on startup it says that my Australia map is not compatible/not available. I can attach the device to the computer (Win7) and whilst it auto-starts the Tom Tom admin page, this software says my device is not attached. In Explorer I see the SD card but not the internal flash drive. I don't get any responses after resetting (via the paperclip method).

I have always had problems with the unit after upgraded the firmware and have always needed to restore it back to square one to make it work. This time it wakes up but does nothing else.

I have never been able to purchase new or upgrade maps because the unit would never accept them and/or the website would not accept my payment.

Any help would be appreciated (asap, as I need it for touring the outback in 2 weeks).

Did you originally get this 930 from an authorized seller or from TomTom itself or was it from an auction site such as ebay?

Go 930 Problems

It was from eBay, Nov 2009. All that means is that I bought it from a reseller/3rd party/grey marketeer. I considered the device was/is still genuine, the international warranty seemed valid, etc. It all worked well, until I wanted to update or buy maps and/or upgrade the firmware. I can't even backup/restore anything now though. I think I will probably finish up dumping it and buying a (very expensive but brilliant) Hema.

Here's why dhn was asking ...

If the seller (or someone back in the chain somewhere) was running hacked firmware and maps, the installation of the current and legit firmware will cause it to look askance at that map, and start to fuss.

That said, this is not necessarily the problem you are having, so it is worth a moment to see if we can retrieve it.

First, you can backup the unit, just not using Home. At least for the moment, I will assume that your PC does see your device as an external storage drive, even though Home does not recognize it? If that is the case, do the backup manually as we recommend in this link => https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html and we'll begin work from there.

If your PC doesn't recognize the device as a storage device, we've got more serious issues with which to deal.

Unfortunately, we have seen a rash of Aussie posters here get stung with hacked models bought on ebay. The problem is the same, hacked software/maps.

While earlier applications were more forgiving, the newest is not and won't accept hacked maps on the unit.

The downloads were from Tom Tom, no pirate hacks. The firmware u/g was also a Tom Tom initiative. Unless you are suggesting that the device was originally loaded with hacked software, there has been no others installed. I had no trouble on my very first attemp at changing the voice, to a TT d/l, but nix since.

Yes, that's what I was inferring..........the unit may have had hacked software/maps when you first received it.

So what is the next step for me? Do I persist in looking for a solution or do I trash this $400+ unit and buy something else? There must be a way to reload the OS, apply official apps and services.

I don't know what to tell you.

You can load the latest application (9.430) manually on the sd card and the unit will boot from the card. Download this file:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.430.1-2008.go.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

and use WinRar to extract the contents to the sdhc card on the 930. But you are still left with no maps to use. You can try to copy your map to the card and reset the unit and then see how things look but, otherwise ..............

Best I can suggest is that if you have a FULL backup of your unit at a point where it was operational, return to that level of code and maps.

So far no luck. I am not sure the device is booting from the SD card either. I do the long-hold to turn on and get the drum roll, but.....?:mad:

Strangely, I borrowed my son's One IQ and it too says that the Australia map is not available. Must be me.:confused: At least I can into the device with Explorer, which I cannot do with my Go 930.:rant:

Ask a Question