930 map on a 720?

Anyone know if a 930 map (esp. North America v.8.05) will work on a GO 720? It would be installed on an SD card so size is not an issue.

Thanks!

Actually, that link doesn't say that.

"Next, go to the TomTom Map update website (link) and log into ?My TomTom? with your account for the 720 or 920. (Note this is from their website, not TomTom HOME.) If your device is the 720, select ?GO 730 / GO 730 Traffic? and if your device is the TomTom 920 select ?GO 930 / GO 930 Traffic?. Note that you are selecting the wrong item from the list. Then select the map you wish to purchase, ?North America?."​

What is being said is to put a 730 map on a 720, and a 930 on a 920. Elsewhere, Tim at GPSWorld says in this thread:

"I don't see any issues at this point... but one question remains. I purchased the maps for the 730... v8.05 which are 1712.6 MB. The v8.05 maps for the 930 are 1921.6 MB. (We know they are larger because they contain more POI files.) They are the same price. The difference is 209 MB.

I've got 174 MB of free space on my drive with the maps for the 730, but if I could find a bit more free space-- perhaps I should have purchased the maps for the 930 which contain more POIs.... Something else to ponder.

And no, sorry, I'm not going to spend another $100 to find out."​

I've scoured various forums to see if anyone has done this (I believe somewhere at least a year ago I ran across a discussion about using 920 maps on a 720, but I don't recall the details). My sense is that they're *likely* to work, but looking for some confirmation before dropping the cash.

What exactly do you think is so much better in the 930 map over the 730 map? I suspect there will be more poi's in the 930 over the 730 but nothing else. I certainly stand to be corrected, though.

Here is the basic breakdown for USA and Canada maps:

USA_and_Canada - made for 1GB units (i.e. ONE units)

North_America_2GB - made for 2GB units (i.e. GO 720/730)

North_America - made for 4GB units (i.e. GO 920/930)

This is in increasing order for size, as well as level of detail and preinstalled POI's.

As for current version numbers, v7.20 is essentially the same as v8.05 and v7.15 is the same as v8.00.

When it comes to crossover, the Rider units can be upgraded to North America maps and apparently ONE units with memory card slots can be upgraded to North America as well.

Makes sense that if you can trick the system to download a v8 map to a 720 or 920, you could enable the extra features.

Here is the basic breakdown for USA and Canada maps:

USA_and_Canada - made for 1GB units (i.e. ONE units)

North_America_2GB - made for 2GB units (i.e. GO 720/730)

North_America - made for 4GB units (i.e. GO 920/930)

This is in increasing order for size, as well as level of detail and preinstalled POI's.

As for current version numbers, v7.20 is essentially the same as v8.05 and v7.15 is the same as v8.00.

When it comes to crossover, the Rider units can be upgraded to North America maps and apparently ONE units with memory card slots can be upgraded to North America as well.

Makes sense that if you can trick the system to download a v8 map to a 720 or 920, you could enable the extra features.

The 730 and 930 maps contain data for IQ routing and ALG. What remains to be proven is that the present v8 Navcore for 720 and 920 contains software to use those new features. We know the ONE v8 navcore does not offer those features but have yet to know if the GO x20 navcore v8 does. I guess we'll have to wait sometime in August to know the answer to this.

Last edited:
i have just successfully purchased and installed the 930t north america map for my 920t. i haven't had a chance to test the lane guidence but here's an image in change preferences to turn lane images off:

-1-2.jpg

and a pic of iq routes being used to navigate
-2-2.jpg

Last edited:
920T wanting IQ Routes and ALG.

I have a 920t I purchsed in December 2007. I updated to the latest HOME last week, and now see the Icon to turn off IQ Routes on my TomTom. Of course it has a Red X on it. When I tap it, it says the map I am using doesn't support ALG.

I have yet to use my LATEST MAP GUARANTEE.

So, the question is, should I use it, and expect to get the map that supports ALG?????

HELP!?!!?!? ANyone know?

I have a 920t I purchsed in December 2007. I updated to the latest HOME last week, and now see the Icon to turn off IQ Routes on my TomTom. Of course it has a Red X on it. When I tap it, it says the map I am using doesn't support ALG.

So, the question is, should I use it, and expect to get the map that supports ALG?????

HELP!?!!?!? ANyone know?

The 920 has been sold with varying map guarantees over time and some even had a one year map update guarantee. You would need to check which one you specifically have. You may also have to prove to TT tech reps with a scan of your receipt and coupon or whatever proof of length of map guarantee for both NA and WCE maps.

The rumour mill has it those v8.05 maps should be available sometime in August.

HELP!?!!?!? ANyone know?

Because you have a Go 920t you won't be offered version 8 maps in TTHome, simply because version 8 maps haven't been officially released for x20 units yet. Under the latest map guarantee you'll be offered the latest official map for your unit, which is version 7.20.

You can PURCHASE a version 8 map and install on your unit, but that's another story.

Do you have a one year latest map guarantee? If so rumour has it that version 8 maps will be offered to x20 units in August....?

rumour has it that version 8 maps will be offered to x20 units in August....?

You'd certainly think so.

There's some perks with the new V8 maps, but content is
extremly limited in the majority of the country.

IQ routing and Lane View/Assist are cool and all that..... but
you can literally drive for DAYS without seeing one of those
nifty "static" pictures. IQ routing needs a substantial amount
of driver data input as the limited data message appears daily.
Basically, I feel both were released prematurely, and will only be
usefull tools once a sufficient amount of data jumps from TomTom
Corp and into your device.

Don't be getting all excited about the V8 maps just yet....and i'd
certainly not suggest purchasing them until content appears

IQ routing and Lane View/Assist are cool and all that..... but
you can literally drive for DAYS without seeing one of those
nifty "static" pictures.

But Lane Assist is also these arrows indicating what lane to be in, at the bottom of the screen. I find these as informative as these static pictures. Surely you cannot drive for days without these arrows showing up...? Or do you drive only on backroads?

i drove on 95 north (just north of baltimore) to see if i could get the lance notification to work with my new 930 map but it never popped up.

i drove on 95 north (just north of baltimore) to see if i could get the lance notification to work with my new 930 map but it never popped up.

Then this feature must be poorly implemented in the North American maps. I'm in Norway and these arrows (though not static images) show up very often on roads/junctions where there are multiple lanes. You don't even get those?

Ask a Question