920T Traffic Question

I have a TT 920T in the mail and on its way. I didnt know at the time of purchase that in order to get traffic you need to use that other cable that sticks to your window. Since then, I have read that you can get traffic, weather data without using that cable and instead you can get it from your mobile phone.

Can you get traffic and weather data wirelessly, using no cables via your mobile phone? I might refuse delivery and go with the 760 if not.

I am still so confused as to which GPS is the better unit.

Every thing I read says the Garmin 760 is the better unit.

Thanks guys.

Bludklot

I have a TT 920T in the mail and on its way. I didnt know at the time of purchase that in order to get traffic you need to use that other cable that sticks to your window. Since then, I have read that you can get traffic, weather data without using that cable and instead you can get it from your mobile phone.

Can you get traffic and weather data wirelessly, using no cables via your mobile phone? I might refuse delivery and go with the 760 if not.

Thanks guys.

Bludklot

There are two options to getting traffic updates. You can get traffic updates and weather through Tomtom PLUS only IF your phone is a compatible model and has bluetooth of course. Or you can get the TMC antenna which is an extra wire. The nuvi 760 uses the same source to get traffic updates so one isn't better than the other as far as accuracy. Its just the 760 has the antenna integrated into the car charger instead of a seperate wire.

Its just personal preference as to which unit is better. Each has its pros and cons. Garmin's claim to fame is its (supposed) superior route calculation engine, but it depends on the area you live in (I have a nuvi 350 and prefer the tomtom 720 route calculations over my 350 as the nuvi tries to take me routes I wouldn't normally take sometimes and even worse I can't edit the route to exclude a highway like I can with the Go 720). My advice would be to find a retailer with a good return policy on opened items (like staples or radio shack) so you can try them both out and return it no questions asked or restocking fees if you don't like it.

Yeah.... I hate it when people post the same thing to more than one forum. I'm a moderator on another site, and we delete or merge posts when that happens. Makes it hard for people to follow a discussion when it's split between two places.

Thanks guys.

Bludklot

Seems to me that the 920 gives you a lot more information on the screen (at the bottom) than the Garmin.
Take a look: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VLHN9E/ref=pd_cmp_a_img
and that's adjustable.
And I require US and European maps, which you don't get with the Garmin but do with the 920.
Doug

Ask a Question