920T traffic question

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
Hi,

A friend loves my TomTom ONE 2e, and wants me to help her choose a TomTom for herself.

Her requirements are:
Real-time traffic, but she'd rather do this without a monthly fee if possible
Text-to-speech for street names

So I have a couple of questions:

Does the TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver get traffic for the New York City to Washington DC corridor along I-95? I've never had traffic info, so I just want to be sure that this is a feature that works in the U.S., since I recall that some TomTom features were only for Europe. (Yes, it's probably a dumb question, but I'm recommending for a friend, so I want to be sure!)

I'm thinking of suggesting that my friend get the TomTom GO 920T.

Would any of the less expensive units do the job as well? For example, the TT ONE 130S
http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=488&Category=0&Lid=4
also says "RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for congestion updates", but it doesn't say if it's included, and the receiver isn't listed on the Accessories page.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
B

RDS-TMC fees?

Sorry - a little more Googling and I was just able to verify that the RDS-TMC does work in the US.

But now I'm confused about service fees. Some of the sites say it's free for life in Europe, but you only get a few months of trial with a purchase in the U.S. The TomTom site doesn't say anything about that. Any 920T owners know the deal?

Thanks!

My understanding is that my GO920T includes 1 Year of traffic service. I have used it in the DC area and it DOES show traffic situations.

Sidney

Thanks! That makes me feel better. But have they given you any indication of how much it will cost when the first year of service is over? Or how you'll renew the service? I don't want to get my friend into a situation where it's great for a year, and then a fiasco.

Thanks,
B

Thanks! That makes me feel better. But have they given you any indication of how much it will cost when the first year of service is over? Or how you'll renew the service? I don't want to get my friend into a situation where it's great for a year, and then a fiasco.

Thanks,
B

I think I remember seeing it's $60/yr after the 1st year for traffic subscription.

Ask a Question