920T Traffic - No route found error

TomTom Model(s)
920T
I have had the 920T for almost a year. I have been generally please with it. Was told by my Garmin buddies that I would get lost with this unit. Uh-huh... Hasn't happened. I have only two complaints.

1) When searching for a POI I wish it would tell me where it is in relations to my route. I might want to go to the POI that is 20 miles ahead rather than go back 10 miles to one I passed.

2) Maybe I have a bug in my unit or something but when I am coming home through rush hour traffic the 920T often picks up delays. When I click on minimize delays to avoid the traffic I get a blank screen and "No route found"

having lived here for almost two years I know there are ways around the delay so I get off and go around myself. Not sure I would appreciate getting the "No route found" feedback if I was in an unfamiliar area.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any way to fix it?

No GPS is going to replace local knowledge and any GPS' routing is also limited by the detail of the map for which the route is attempted. Did you pick 'fastest' route? Avoid toll roads? Stuff like that? Maybe, with the restrictions set, it just can't come up with an alternative.

No GPS is going to replace local knowledge

Of course not. That is not my problem. I just want the device to route around traffic delays that it discovers. I had no problem doing this before. After I upgraded a few months ago I started getting the "No route found." error. I want the device to pick the fastest route around the 20 minute backup.

Did you pick 'fastest' route? Avoid toll roads? Stuff like that?
I always select fastest route. Maybe that is the problem. The device underestimates the delay and routes me on the interstate with a 3 mile backup. Of course I'm smart enough to get off and use the side street. In Phoenix it's pretty simple the major streets are all north south and east west. I'm more concerned for my trip to LA. I have no idea how to get around the city and would like to be able to route around traffic delays.

*** Could be that the device see's that I'm on an interstate with a 65mph speed limit and erroneously believes that I will arrive sooner by driving through the backup because the sidestreets are 35mph.

It didn't used to do this I could click on minimize delays and route around the backup. That's what I want the device to do again.

Did you pick 'fastest' route?
just checked.. When creating a route I have to select from:

Fastest route
Shortest route
Avoid Freeways
Walking Route
Bicycle Route
Limited Speed

Not sure that would cause the device to totally disregard side streets that I can see from the freeway. Like I said before it worked perfectly before. Get a traffic delay report.... tap minimize delay... go around backup and back to freeway an the other side of the jam.

It wasn't perfect because the traffic information was a little late but during rush hour you were more times than not going to benifit by going around reported backup. Would like to get that working again.

I have had this problem before as well with the 7.481 firmware. That was one of the reasons I went back to the 7.221 firmware. Normally when you have a 9 minute delay on your route and it asks you if you want to reroute, it checks another route. If that route has a delay as well, it tells you and asks you if you want to avoid all delays or take the fastest route with the delay. I haven't seen that come up at all with the 7.481 firmware. Instead I get the no route found error. No idea how to get around it except to downgrade to 7.221 or maybe upgrade to 8.010.

I have the 8.010 on my 920, from before they pulled it, but I haven't been in traffic so I don't know if that fixed it or not.

I have had this problem before as well with the 7.481 firmware. That was one of the reasons I went back to the 7.221 firmware. Normally when you have a 9 minute delay on your route and it asks you if you want to reroute, it checks another route. If that route has a delay as well, it tells you and asks you if you want to avoid all delays or take the fastest route with the delay. I haven't seen that come up at all with the 7.481 firmware. Instead I get the no route found error. No idea how to get around it except to downgrade to 7.221 or maybe upgrade to 8.010.

I have the 8.010 on my 920, from before they pulled it, but I haven't been in traffic so I don't know if that fixed it or not.

It does look like 8.010 fixes this problem on my 920. I was presented with the options to minimize delays, but not with the option to avoid all delays, but alternate routes were found.

Ask a Question