740 TM Discontinued?

TomTom Model(s)
One 130 S
I notice on a few websites that they list the 740 TM as discontinued. TomTom still lists it on their site. This is the one I want as it has a Micro SD slot. Any word on this?:confused:

Indiana, USA

Wouldn't surprise me. It's arguably their best rig in the U.S. right now in terms of features...

... and I'm sure their crack marketing department in the Netherlands would rather we all be buying the new 1XXX and 2XXX units with the broken and missing features, and deadlines to support them that they can't seem to keep.

You've gotta wonder about this outfit sometimes.

Given that the Live technology is the same (and hence, likely to be around for a while), if you're looking for a unit with that feature, I'd latch onto a 740TM while they're still available and enjoy it. The software seems relatively stable at the moment, and my own experience has been quite good - although I do know that others have had issues with the Live servers in other parts of the country.

It is not discontinued.
I can't say I've seen anything "official" that says that, either, but the OP is correct - that word is starting to show up on all kinds of 'reputable' sites that were previously selling the 740, and the number of sites showing "no inventory" has gone up substantially as well.

Still seems to be able to be ordered directly from TT.
No surprise there. You could still order a 730 there after stock had begun to dry up in retail outlets as well.

I'm sure TT would love to kill off the 740. In Tomtom's view, it's a 2008 model. And it has the direct file access that Tomtom support blames for all the device problems (if they only knew...)

With the GO 2505M LIVE announced for this summer, I'd bet TT's plan is to stop shipping the 740 once it is launched.

Of that I am sure, mvl......

Nevertheless, we have seen that TomTom isn't the best at making deadlines (custom ov2 files, anybody? :eek: ) and I suspect they don't want to have a void in the States where no LIVE model is available......

According to Customer Service GO740TM Live's are "no longer available" even from TomTom. I ordered one last Saturday, received a payment & shipping confirmation, then was mysteriously given a full refund yesterday with no explanation. I contacted CS who today gave me the "no longer available" explanation.

I noticed there are a limited number of GO740 Live's available now from several suppliers on Amazon for as low as $139.99. I have one of those ordered now as a backup to my now elderly GO730 whose features I have really enjoyed . I'm not convinced that waiting for a newer dumbed down model would be advantageous. I like being able to tweak the files when necessary, add 3rd party apps, have a full menu, SD card slot, and remote control. I figured this was my last chance to grab an almost (no fm transmitter) full featured TomTom with Live services.

Ask a Question