740 Live Random Restart

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 620
My GPS will randomly restart sometimes. It usually happen once every couple days. When it happen, the screen will freeze, then restart, get into the map view, freeze, restart...
It will keep on repeat this cycle until I hold the power button to reset it.
Does anyone have this problem? And what do you recommend me to do?

And what do you recommend me to do?
Try this for a while and see if the problem stops ... each time you "Navigate To" anywhere, before you shut down at a your destination, be sure to "Clear Route". I had similar symptoms with my new 740 until I started doing this.

Same problem here. It will usually restart three times before settling out. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't pulling in updates as it will restart with the green screen and the activity bar at the bottom each time. I reloaded the application with no effect. The only solution I've had is soft reset. Pretty random event.

@ThreeCats2Many - see post above and let us know if it does you any good. Still haven't heard a peep back from the OP. I never see random reboots since shutting down the current route at the end. Whether it's actually a function of that practice or not I can't say, but the timing was certainly a coincidence if not.

I solved the problem by using the clear flash tool 3 times.
Its been fine for 1 weeks without restart. You can give it a try.
Go to tomtom website and search for clear flash tool

Last edited:
Try this for a while and see if the problem stops ... each time you "Navigate To" anywhere, before you shut down at a your destination, be sure to "Clear Route". I had similar symptoms with my new 740 until I started doing this.Try this for a while and see if the problem stops ... each time you "Navigate To" anywhere, before you shut down at a your destination, be sure to "Clear Route". I had similar symptoms with my new 740 until I started doing this.Try this for a while and see if the problem stops ... each time you "Navigate To" anywhere, before you shut down at a your destination, be sure to "Clear Route". I had similar symptoms with my new 740 until I started doing this.

Battery problem?

Is your unit more than 9 months old? Do you find the restarts are mainly when the unit is cold (temperature) and has not been used for more than 4 hours? Do the restarts coincide with the unit accessing the live services?

If so the problem is most likely to be the internal battery that is exhibiting a high internal resistance, which is exacerbated when the unit is kept at a cold temperature.

Try keeping the unit at >20 Centigrade or on the charger when not in use. If the fault goes away you know it is the battery.

We have about 180 of the Work version Go 9000 and many are now having this issue after being used for a year.

Even when the unit is powered from the car 12V the internal battery is required to act as a capacitor to handle the high current pulses generated during certain operations (such as cellular data transmission).

Actually, since the restarts always occur when I am leaving my house, by definition they occur while the unit is also attempting to access live services. My 740 is about 16 months old by the way.

I have not yet tried the suggestion to clear route yet, but I will.

Canderson's suggestion is a good one. I've noticed that the only time my TT reboots now is if I've forgotten to clear route. It's easy to forget as I have my TT set to automatically turn off when I turn off my ignition. I just have to remember to 'clear route' each time. :D

I did clear route every time before I turn off my tomtom
But the shut down is still randomly happen.
Sometimes right after I unplug from computer, it will reboot, and load into map, then freeze.
Sometimes it will freeze after 2 or 3 hours leaving inside the car
So I don't think battery is the problem.

But just a side note, clear flash tool although didn't solve the problem, it does appear to decrease the number of times it restart

Two days after I wrote this...
Canderson's suggestion is a good one. I've noticed that the only time my TT reboots now is if I've forgotten to clear route. It's easy to forget as I have my TT set to automatically turn off when I turn off my ignition. I just have to remember to 'clear route' each time.
...my TomTom rebooted :rolleyes:. Luckily it seems to only happen about once per month. The rebooting was worse than this when I first updated the application after purchasing my XL335-TM, but I followed the suggestions on this forum about reinstalling the app and it seems to be better. ...not perfect but better. I can usually tell when it's going to reboot. If I turn it on and it shows having satellite reception right away without pausing (with color screen), then after about 1 minute it will reboot.
_________

<< edit to add >>

Here's a link to my thread a few months ago when I had this reboot problem really bad (2 pages worth). Just removing the application (Navcore) and reinstalling helped quite a bit.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/23635-reboots-connects-pc.html

Last edited:
Another option

The lighter adapter on the 740 is the TMC-RDS receiver. Try pulling it briefly and reinserting. This will restart the receiver. Also works when receiver is having trouble getting a socket.

Once you get one reboot, it often leaves a corrupted file system that causes future frequent reboots.

Run a chkdsk /f on the Tomtom drive after it reboots, to prevent future repeated rebooting.

Also, clear route upon arrival helps a ton to prevent the initial reboot. Also, you could downgrade to app 8.312 as it similarly helps. Neither step is 100% effective, but they help a lot.

Once you get one reboot, it often leaves a corrupted file system that causes future frequent reboots.

Run a chkdsk /f on the Tomtom drive after it reboots, to prevent future repeated rebooting.

Also, clear route upon arrival helps a ton to prevent the initial reboot. Also, you could downgrade to app 8.312 as it similarly helps. Neither step is 100% effective, but they help a lot.
FWIW, I never seemed to have any file corruption after the reboots. However, I often did have total loss of satellite signal reception after each one. I'd head for the status page after a minute or two of no signal, and there were no gray bars (much less blue), until I did a reset of the unit with the power button. Not sure what that was about.

After the hard reset, life continued on as normal until the next time I'd shut down without clearing the route.

Knock on keyboard - nary a reboot since.

FWIW, I never seemed to have any file corruption after the reboots. However, I often did have total loss of satellite signal reception after each one. I'd head for the status page after a minute or two of no signal, and there were no gray bars (much less blue), until I did a reset of the unit with the power button. Not sure what that was about.

After the hard reset, life continued on as normal until the next time I'd shut down without clearing the route.

Knock on keyboard - nary a reboot since.

I got the same thing too. Everytime after the reboot, if the gps got signal in less than a minute, I will know its going to reboot again. If it haven't get any signal for like 5+ minutes, then I know the gps is stable (for now) and 5+ more minutes and it will get the signal.

Another thing I noticed about my reboots was that they would occur within the first minute or two of driving after the unit was turned on.

Another thing I noticed about my reboots was that they would occur within the first minute or two of driving after the unit was turned on.

Same here. If the first 5 minutes is fine, it won't reboot.
If it does, it usually takes a couple reboot to get back to normal, or I can hold down the power button to restart it and it will be fine.

I found that if you copy everything from your tomtom to your computer, then format it and put it back, it will make the situation better. The reboot will come back but not as offen. You might want to give it a shoot and see how that goes.

You might want to give it a shoot and see how that goes.
Probably not. As I said, my problems ceased when I started clearing my route when I arrived at my destination. The problems I described are, you'll note, in past tense.

Ask a Question