Go 740 LIVE only turns on when connected to PC

TomTom Model(s)
740 Go Live
My GO 740 LIVE has been failing over the past week. It may have been coincident with the recent software upgrade, although it was giving me low battery warnings while connected to the car charger for a few days before that.

The current status is that the device will only turn on when sitting in the computer dock cradle. Even if I let it charge overnight in that cradle, it will not start up properly after I remove it -- typically it will shutdown in the middle of the startup routine. It won't startup properly even if connected to the car charger (with the car running).

I'm guessing this is a failing battery, but if anyone has something else for me to try, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Indeed, it does sound like the battery is essentially totally flat.

Here's a link to a video on how to replace it:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=723M7aGQ5Lg[/ame]

and you can get a replacement battery here:
http://www.batteryship.com/

can't get circuit board seated

OK, I've successfully swapped out the old battery. But I can't quite get the circuit board seated properly. Seems like it should be easy, but the plastic in the charging port remains about 1mm elevated, and if I assemble it like that, it won't fit into the charger any longer. This seems to be happening even if I reassemble it without the battery in there at all.

I'm pushing about as hard as I'm willing to push on the circuit board to try to seat it properly, but I still can't get that charging port to move down (toward the back of the unit) that last millimeter.

Any one else run into this? What am i missing?

OK, I managed to make it fit. It took about 7 tries. I really had to lever the bottom side in first and hold it in place while fitting the first screws back in. Hopefully if someone else has the same problem they'll see this. Thanks again for your help.

Ask a Question