740 LIVE Itinerary planning

Hi.

I have a recently purchased 740 GO LIVE TM. I am still learning about the various features of the device, and there is one that has me stumped. Here's what I'd like to do if possible:

We are planning a trip to Florida in our RV. We have made the trip many times, and I know the route I want to take. I need or want to avoid certain areas and roads and take bypasses upon occasion. What I would like to do is set an itinerary with waypoints so that TT will alert me of my upcoming exits, track distances, etc. What steps do I need to take to do this. EXAMPLE: TT routes me through Anycity usa on rt123, I want to take rt 234, but the normal avoid this route doesn't take me exactly where I want to go. Can I program rt 234 as a waypoint then re-connect with rt 123 later down the line? Do waypoints need to be an address or can they be just a spot on the highway. I am thinking I would need a waypoint somewhere on the road I want to take then near where I want to re-connect. If anyone could give me the steps to do this it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Mark

Welcome to TTF!

See the information in this link about using Google Maps, a 3rd party application called TYRE and creating itineraries you can send to your unit.

Also, Itineraries are a list of waypoints and destinations that you want TT to route you through but the routing directions TT decides upon don't always match what the user wanted in terms of roads. A way to make sure TT plans the routing to your expectations is to add more waypoints (you are allowed 48 per itinerary) so that TT has less flexibility to 'wander' off the desired path, so to speak.

Anyway, follow the info in the link and revisit here with any questions.

(And yes, a waypoint can be a point in a road so if you plan to do that, make sure you zoom in the map to ensure you are NOT putting a waypoint on the wrong side of a divided highway....)

Welcome to TTF!

See the information in this link about using Google Maps, a 3rd party application called TYRE and creating itineraries you can send to your unit.

Also, Itineraries are a list of waypoints and destinations that you want TT to route you through but the routing directions TT decides upon don't always match what the user wanted in terms of roads. A way to make sure TT plans the routing to your expectations is to add more waypoints (you are allowed 48 per itinerary) so that TT has less flexibility to 'wander' off the desired path, so to speak.

Anyway, follow the info in the link and revisit here with any questions.

(And yes, a waypoint can be a point in a road so if you plan to do that, make sure you zoom in the map to ensure you are NOT putting a waypoint on the wrong side of a divided highway....)

I too am planning my first road trip and TYRE is great!! But, one thing I find with the 740TM I bought last week is that TYRE identifies points as waypoints some times instead of destinations. Don't know if I entered some data wrong in TYRE or not, but I find you can turn on the your TT go into Itinerary planning, select the .itn file you imported from TYRE into the TT, and you can see all the various destinations and waypoints you've planned.

I either saw in the manual or somewhere, but theTT will just pass you by waypoints without announcing, so if you want an announcement and to possibly stop (at Old Faithful geyser for example) then you have to make sure the itinerary file has it listed as a destination. In the TT it is really simple to change an item from a way point to a destination. Just touch the listed destination and another screen pops up. It the item is a destination, you can change to a waypoint and vice versa.

Process working great for me.:)

Ask a Question