740 go'round

740 go'round UPDATE

I don't know if this will be useful to anybody, but I thought I would share me recent experiences with my 740Go Live TM. I first purchased this unit in May of 2010. Everything worked great out of the box. I had one "operator error", me being the operator, and called TomTom support. They walked me through the steps to do what I needed to do, everything was fine. One bit of info that came out of my conversation with the TomTom service rep was that my unit had the old application file as my screen displayed differently than the newer version. I made no changes, left it as it was.

Sometime in June, a couple/few weeks after it was introduced, I installed the new map update. Still everything worked fine. I was nervous since (after I did the update of course) I read about people having problems with their traffic after the update, mine still worked fine. Unit worked fine on July 5th (last time I used it). I fired it up on July 14th and had no LIVE services (traffic was fine). I would try to log on and it would tell me that I needed a subscription. Called TomTom. I had a valid subscription. They started to troubleshoot.

1. Soft reset - No change
2. Update the unit via TomTom Home - No change
3. Reset Factory settings - No change, had to put all my settings back in, pain in the butt
4. Uninstall application file, install new application file - Resulted in total meltdown of the unit. Nothing worked. Unit started looping, no LIVE, no traffic After I enterd a destination it would switch from the map screen to a series of TomTom home screens. Useless.
5. Arranged to send the unit back for replacement.

I am leaving on a trip tomorrow (friday). Not happy. I called the retailer where I bought the unit. Explained that the unit basically had a stroke. I had purchased a full replacement warranty plan and they said just bring it in and we will swap it out. I picked up a new unit which has NO map update installed and the old application file. Everything works as it should. My fingers are crossed. I suspect I might have an issue when my live services trial on this unit nears the end but we'll see. I will NOT be updating the maps or applications until I hear that these issues have been resolved. Maybe this will add some insight into the issues, I will be emailing TomTom as well.

Spoke to TomTom this morning and they stated that there are issues that occured after the latest map and application updates. She said in no uncertain terms to not do anyhting with my new functioning unit and to wait until a fix has been issued. IF YOUR UNIT IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY DO NOT DO ANY UPDATES UNTIL THE ISSUE IS RESOLVED.

Last edited:
If I've learned anything in my two years of using TomTom products, it's:
  • wait a week, or two, or three, before updating TomTom Home or the device application.
  • always do a full (outside TomTom Home) backup before applying the above updates
Now it seems we have to extend this same wariness to map updates.

I'm glad you have a working device.

Ask a Question