720 Refurb, installed updates, now cannot use map

Ok,

I just got a 720. Connected it to computer for the first time and it automatically prompted me to do updates. I did the updates, an now i get a error message "problem with map - you cannot use this map on this device: North_Amerca_2GB-7"

When i connect to the computer and use the tomtom software to check the maps, it tells me that "item cannot be used on this device because it needs to be activated first"

All i can say is WTF!

Does this mean i now have to buy a map to make this work?

Thanks

What application do you have installed? Tap the satellite bars and the application version appears on the next screen.

I cannot get to the satellite bars. It stops during startup and says to pick a map, when i pick the map it says that it cannot use the map. Anyway i can find out which application from looking on tomtom home?

Your application is current then but your map is 18 months out of date. You don't need the current application to run that level map.

So, you have a choice, you can pay for the newest map (Add Maps in Home ). The current map is 830 (and, if you choose to go that route, you may wish to consider a subscription. Yes, you'll have to pay to get to level 830 and pay for 4 more updates over the next year, but the 4 updates will cost a total of less than $50 US)

or, you can delete the application, and install a Navcore version 7 map that should work with the map you have. You can get an older application (7.221) from this link.

ACTUALLY............

If your unit is a new 720, even though it's over a year old, you may try for the Latest Map Guarantee. But you'll have to call support aat 866-486-6866 for assistance and explain what went wrong when you tried to update.

Last edited:
So how exactly do i remove the old application? Do I use the TomTom home program?

Thanks for your help!

II have a refurb 730. I called them and told them that I couldn't get the LMG to work. I had to scan a copy of my receipt and attach it to the support case they created. About 3 hours later they had added the latest map to my account and I was able to download it. I never mentioned it was a refurb and they never asked.

So how exactly do i remove the old application? Do I use the TomTom home program?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you can use Home to remove items from my unit-->Application.

Then dl the application from the link, expand using winrar or equivalent, and copy the files into the unit.

Before doing anything, though, make a complete backup of the unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Removing and re-installing old application did not work. I put it all back to where it was prior to trying. Contacted Support Today. They were extremely helpful. They put the proper maps on my account. All should be good next time i plug the thing in.

Ask a Question