just bought a 720 refurb,

I'm so glad that i found this forum , when i get the 720 what should i do .Ireally bought it for the voice reg for adderess im a truk driver and well use that alot ,also would like to get the latest maps 2009 ,also alot of new streets in my area cant wait to learn how to use map share and edit routes and add new streets ,I just want to say that i have been reading some of the post mostly about voice im sure confused but you folks are so nice .

thanks for letting me join
raiderdanny;)

Welcome. No need for thanks. Without members, there would be no forum.

Before doing **anything**, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Also, find out what firmware and map you have installed on the unit. To find the firmware version, tap the satellite bars. Tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed and the version.

The latest firmware version is 8.3; it has caused some problems with stuttering computer voices, elimination of voice navigation of instructions using FM and sluggish refresh of the map.

But, you need version 8 of the firmware to use Map version 8x. (The latest version is 8.15)

If you haven't done so, create an account at TomTom.com. Email address and password.

If you need to update the firmware, connect to the computer, start Home and the latest firmware (8.3) may be offered. Use Home's menu of Latest Map Guarantee. See what is shown.

If you do NOT have version 8.15 installed and Home says you have the latest map anyway, well, that's an known problem with Home. Their LMG is not too reliable.

Call, don't email, support at 866-486-6866 and explain the situation. They should apply the newest map to your account **if you are within 30 days** of first use of the unit.

Be prepared to send a fax, scan or photo of your sales receipt.

Now, what problems are you having with voices?

Ditto on everything dhn said. And welcome to the forum. A great place to find answers even if sometimes you do not have the question.

not with voices i want to use voice navigation

Welcome. No need for thanks. Without members, there would be no forum.

Before doing **anything**, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Also, find out what firmware and map you have installed on the unit. To find the firmware version, tap the satellite bars. Tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed and the version.

The latest firmware version is 8.3; it has caused some problems with stuttering computer voices, elimination of voice navigation of instructions using FM and sluggish refresh of the map.

But, you need version 8 of the firmware to use Map version 8x. (The latest version is 8.15)

If you haven't done so, create an account at TomTom.com. Email address and password.

If you need to update the firmware, connect to the computer, start Home and the latest firmware (8.3) may be offered. Use Home's menu of Latest Map Guarantee. See what is shown.

If you do NOT have version 8.15 installed and Home says you have the latest map anyway, well, that's an known problem with Home. Their LMG is not too reliable.

Call, don't email, support at 866-486-6866 and explain the situation. They should apply the newest map to your account **if you are within 30 days** of first use of the unit.

Be prepared to send a fax, scan or photo of your sales receipt.

Now, what problems are you having with voices?

you said that the new firmware 8.3 eliminates voice navigation did i make a mistake with the 720

No, I said that f/w 8.3 eliminates voice navigation using the FM frequency on your radio; you certainly still get the voice navigation through the internal speakers on the unit.

No, I said that f/w 8.3 eliminates voice navigation using the FM frequency on your radio; you certainly still get the voice navigation through the internal speakers on the unit.

sorry to be so stupid what does it mean to click on icon for quick reply also do you think that i well have a problem with voice navigation also can i use the headphone jack and play the 720 through radio also i was told to charge the battery for four hours then turn on an let the battery run down and recharge it to make the battery hold charged longer

thanks for helping
raiderdanny

I've never been able to figure out what 'quick reply' is and how it works .. :eek:

I do not believe you can use headphones to hear the navigation. In fact, I think it's kinda unsafe to do so.....

It is correct that you are advised to charge the unit for 4 hours prior to first use BUT you do NOT need to run the battery down; in fact, you shouldn't.

Remember, the unit is meant to be operated using the car charger though it doess have a battery. While the literature says the battery can last 'up to' 5 hours, don't believe it. Even with all things checked under battery savings preferences and bluetooth off and screen dimmed between instructions, I don't think anybody has gottem more than 3 hours.

Older units had larger batteries with more storage. Newer Go models have a thinner profile but that means a smaller battery and less 'oomph'.

What firmware and map do you currently have????

I've never been able to figure out what 'quick reply' is and how it works .. :eek:

I do not believe you can use headphones to hear the navigation. In fact, I think it's kinda unsafe to do so.....

It is correct that you are advised to charge the unit for 4 hours prior to first use BUT you do NOT need to run the battery down; in fact, you shouldn't.

Remember, the unit is meant to be operated using the car charger though it doess have a battery. While the literature says the battery can last 'up to' 5 hours, don't believe it. Even with all things checked under battery savings preferences and bluetooth off and screen dimmed between instructions, I don't think anybody has gottem more than 3 hours.

Older units had larger batteries with more storage. Newer Go models have a thinner profile but that means a smaller battery and less 'oomph'.

dhn i have not received the 720 yet i quess i have the cart before the horse it well be here this week can't wait hope to see you on line theres so much i need to know and there is a wealth of help on this site thanks again
raiderdanny

I could be wrong here, but I think what he meant was to connect the Tomtom to his radio through the headphone jack on the TT connected to an aux port on the radio. Some radios have this as a means to hook up a MP3 player. I don't see why this wouldn't work. This way it could play the voice prompts through the radio. The only problem I see with this, is you would not be able to listen to the radio while the Tomtom is plugged in.

Ask a Question