Problem with new refurb 720

I just got my 720 in the mail yesterday and have a big problem with it. Driving in 3d view the map doesn't show any detail and occasionaly flashes different colors but still shows the route/streets. Oddly enough when I browse map and zoom out to 25 miles I get full detail and map colors. I'm wondering if there is some kind of setting I am missing or should I be calling tech support and seeing about getting it fixed. Please help, this is kind of annoying.

I just got my 720 in the mail yesterday and have a big problem with it. Driving in 3d view the map doesn't show any detail and occasionaly flashes different colors but still shows the route/streets. Oddly enough when I browse map and zoom out to 25 miles I get full detail and map colors. I'm wondering if there is some kind of setting I am missing or should I be calling tech support and seeing about getting it fixed. Please help, this is kind of annoying.

Not clear what you mean by saying 3D doesn't show any detail. Can you be a bit clearer as to what your expectations are? (It may be an issue ... just don't know).

Also......the switching of colours could be the unit switching from day to night map colours while you were driving. Again, indeed, there may be an issue .... just trying to suggest viable possibililities for what you're experiencing. :eek:

Not clear what you mean by saying 3D doesn't show any detail. Can you be a bit clearer as to what your expectations are? (It may be an issue ... just don't know).

Also......the switching of colours could be the unit switching from day to night map colours while you were driving. Again, indeed, there may be an issue .... just trying to suggest viable possibililities for what you're experiencing. :eek:

When I say no detail I mean the map shows me no rivers, parks, buildings or anything. Just tan colored ground everywhere which flashes either red, blue, or brown while driving. I don't believe its switching to night colors because I have the night colors same as day colors. Last night i tried with no avail, re-insalling the 7.48 firmware and even this morning reverting to the 7.22. My TT free map is expired as well. I'll see if I can get some pictures up in a minute to show you. Thanks.

Here are some pictures, sorry crappy cell phone pics but can't find my camera atm. The top one is zoomed out 2d map to ~25-50 miles and all the color and detail on water ways seem to be there. Second is the 3d map, should be a river behind me but there isn't. Finally the third is zoomed in 2d map you can see all the color and details are washed out. The bend under the cursor should be the mississippi river but it don't look like it :(

Attachments

• ATT00019.jpg
    ATT00019.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 353
  • ATT00021.jpg
    ATT00021.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 343
  • ATT00023.jpg
    ATT00023.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 332
I guess my first question to you should have been what map version do you have installed? (tap the satellite bars twice to bring up the screen showing map version installed).

Newer maps have more detail than older maps <---like that's something you don't know :rolleyes:

A newer firmware version (8.010) is again being offered to 720 users as of this morning. Maybe, that'll help.

But it's your comment about the colour that leads me to believe there is an issue. Did you try a pin reset, by any chance?

I guess my first question to you should have been what map version do you have installed? (tap the satellite bars twice to bring up the screen showing map version installed).

Newer maps have more detail than older maps <---like that's something you don't know :rolleyes:

A newer firmware version (8.010) is again being offered to 720 users as of this morning. Maybe, that'll help.

But it's your comment about the colour that leads me to believe there is an issue. Did you try a pin reset, by any chance?

I have map 710.xxx and this morning I just updated to 8.010 firmware. Tried the pin reset as well I think. (Just stick a paper clip in the reset button for 15 seconds right?) Also curiosly enough when I updated to the new firmware I now have the option for viewing lane guidance but it tells me my map is not compatable.

As for it being an older map, it isn't so much a problem with detail as far as roads. It is detail for everything, lack of grass, buildings, bodys of water and colored roadways. All I have is one color area with white/grey roads, railways and every now and then other colors flash where bodys of water and grass should be. Thanks for any help :)

Well.........

you should have an option to change map colour options for day and night.
what happens when you do/ Same problem?

Also, what is the brightness level you've set the screen for? You may want to adjust it down for more contrast and see if that helps.

For Hedge...I too at one time owned a reburbed 720 and mine also flashed quickly different colors while driving I-70 through Denver. I do not know what happened to fix it, but it only happened once and it must have fixed itself, cause i did not do anything to solve the problem..weird, eh? Have you tried using a different screen color scheme? As for showing buildings??...I never had any buildings show in my color scheme choices..how does one set the scheme up to show buildings...do I want buildings? sounds interesting. Steve

For Hedge...I too at one time owned a reburbed 720 and mine also flashed quickly different colors while driving I-70 through Denver. I do not know what happened to fix it, but it only happened once and it must have fixed itself, cause i did not do anything to solve the problem..weird, eh? Have you tried using a different screen color scheme? As for showing buildings??...I never had any buildings show in my color scheme choices..how does one set the scheme up to show buildings...do I want buildings? sounds interesting. Steve

The buildings are supposedly raised when in city areas, at least thats what the description said on many different reviews.

The map colors do nothing but change the surrounding area color and my brightness is at 100% I will lower it and see if I get any differnce.

The brightness did not help any. I figurd I could give you some better pictures of the screen to see what I am talking about. As you can see when you zoom in on mine all bodies of water and any detail washes out and the 3d view is a far cry from what it should be.

Attachments

• zoomin.JPG
    zoomin.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 340
  • zoomout.JPG
    zoomout.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 324
  • 3d.JPG
    3d.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 333
The brightness did not help any. I figurd I could give you some better pictures of the screen to see what I am talking about. As you can see when you zoom in on mine all bodies of water and any detail washes out and the 3d view is a far cry from what it should be.

I still am inclined to suggest you change to a different map colour and see if it helps. Either one installed on your unit or you can download others using TomTom Home.

I still am inclined to suggest you change to a different map colour and see if it helps. Either one installed on your unit or you can download others using TomTom Home.

I tried gramatica, brittanica and a couple others with the same results, just different colors that wash out.

I just got off the phone they're giving me latest map gaurantee, going to install that tonight and see what it does for me. I'm thinking it could be a corrupted map file... maybe.

Ask a Question