720, or 730?

I have some questions for the knowledgeable forum members ;)

1) I had to take back a Tomtom One XL-S after a Red X issue and they gave me a credit of $399 so I got the TomTom GO 720 which *I know* is a lot cheaper then that at other places... but... it was a warranted swap.

However, I could had paid $50 more and got the 730 and now I am kind of kicking my self for not doing so. I may go back and plea my case, who knows.

What I was wondering, if I don't go back and pay the $50 more, A) what is the outlook that the v8 maps will be out within 30 days and B) will the 720 support Lane Guidance as well as iQ Routes?

2) I have another GO 720 that I have been using for about a year or so, maybe less, I don't remember. Anyways I may or may not have participated in the beta test and may or may not have heard back from July as to when the new maps will be avail to me. Anyone else that may or may not have participated have any information? Will Lane Guidance come with these maps?

Thanks!

At this point, your options are limited to the credit you got and probably the unit they gave you. Was it at Bestbuy (one of the highest priced retailers) ?

You should have shopped around more - you might have gotten a 920 or even 930 for no more (and maybe less) then the $399 + $50 you are looking at now for a 730.

You would probably be happier with the X30 model.

Yes at Best Buy, I don't think they would give me the $399 credit in money form, I basically got a copy of my receipt from last year, walked back to Automotive and he told me I had to get a TomTom and could get the 720 for equal swap or pay for an upgraded one. I didn't think about LG or iQ while I was there :(

I don't know where you live but ALG data is quite limited and, AFAIK, some eye candy. As for IQ routing, data is also scarce, depending on where you live and rather too general as it only considers weekdays vs weekends. The just announced x40 with 5 minute definition and HD traffic is a different animal but not yet announced for North America. Again, it may take a while before data gets significant for where you live or drive...

Problems with 730

I recently purchased go 730, but found following problems:

1) In contrast to my tomtom 720, 730 does not display the road where I make turn, although TTS does speak the road. I did have 720 and it displays the road on the right top of the GPS.

2) I am in montreal and have driven through some intersections that have multiple highways. But I do not see the reality view which is one of the added features in 730.

Any suggestions?

I recently purchased go 730, but found following problems:

1) In contrast to my tomtom 720, 730 does not display the road where I make turn, although TTS does speak the road. I did have 720 and it displays the road on the right top of the GPS.

2) I am in montreal and have driven through some intersections that have multiple highways. But I do not see the reality view which is one of the added features in 730.

Any suggestions?

1. Preferences-->Name Preferences-->Show next highway/street name.

2. Most, if not all roads, in Canada still don't have the proper mapping info to show ALG and reality view as yet.

advanced lane guidance is still developing, and slowly improving. iq routes should be working pretty well, i hear mostly good reviews about it. the 730 would definitely be my choice, but i wouldn't count on getting either of those unique features on the 720 anytime soon.

Are LG and iQ the MAIN differences between a 720 and a 730? I have been on the TT website and searched all over the fourms and can not really find what separates them.

Thanks
Brad

Are LG and iQ the MAIN differences between a 720 and a 730? I have been on the TT website and searched all over the fourms and can not really find what separates them.

Thanks
Brad

LG and IQ are common to both the 720 and 730 and map choices are the same. The internal hardware (a highly integrated Samsung chipset) are the same with identical cpu, memory and cpu clock. They also share the same software. The difference lies in the case color, attachment and speaker. At the 730 launch it did have the exclusivity of ALG and IQR with the 930 but lately, TT decided to let the 720 & 920 share the same maps and software.

If my memory serves me well, I think 730 does offer Voice Input Address while 720 doesn't.
However, I don't remember this feature controled by firmware or hardware.

Just to let members know that I bought GO920 (@Costco.com) for $299.99 a year back or maybe more.
If you buy one at authorized stores, you should get latest maps, which is v815 (fairly new TeleAtlas 2008.8) and firmware is free to download off Tomtom Home.
So there is no reason to buy GO720/730 @BB with rocket-high cost.

Just to let members know that I bought GO920 (@Costco.com) for $299.99 a year back or maybe more.
If you buy one at authorized stores, you should get latest maps, which is v815 (fairly new TeleAtlas 2008.8) and firmware is free to download off Tomtom Home.
So there is no reason to buy GO720/730 @BB with rocket-high cost.
FYI:

Current Costco price is $299 for 730, $399 for 930T. No prices shown for 730T or 930, and there don't appear to be any of the X20 units left there.

Current BestBuy price is $299 for 720, $349 for 730, $399 for 930.

FYI:

Current Costco price is $299 for 730, $399 for 930T. No prices shown for 730T or 930, and there don't appear to be any of the X20 units left there.

Current BestBuy price is $299 for 720, $349 for 730, $399 for 930.

I did notice that alot of the refurbished 720's have dissapeared from many places. And the places that do still stock them, have raised the prices on them a little bit more for the holidays. I bought my 720 2 months ago from Radio Shack for $169.99, then 2 weeks later they went down to $163.99. Right now they still do have refurbished 720's but they are selling for $199.99, but still include warranty and Latest Map Guarantee.

If you can find a great deal for a refubished 720 from an authorized dealer, I'd say go for it. They aren't different than a 730.

And the 720 DOES include voice address input.

Again, there is NO difference at the moment between the 720 and 730 besides the color of the unit, and price.

And as far as Best Buy, I'd stay away from them. They have some of the most craziest prices that sometimes don't make sense between the models.

I did notice that alot of the refurbished 720's have dissapeared from many places. And the places that do still stock them, have raised the prices on them a little bit more for the holidays. I bought my 720 2 months ago from Radio Shack for $169.99, then 2 weeks later they went down to $163.99. Right now they still do have refurbished 720's but they are selling for $199.99, but still include warranty and Latest Map Guarantee.

If you can find a great deal for a refubished 720 from an authorized dealer, I'd say go for it. They aren't different than a 730.

And the 720 DOES include voice address input.

Again, there is NO difference at the moment between the 720 and 730 besides the color of the unit, and price.

And as far as Best Buy, I'd stay away from them. They have some of the most craziest prices that sometimes don't make sense between the models.

Where do you get the info that GO720 does include voice address input?

VR was enabled in 720's from NA map 7.10 on with firmware 7.221 and higher if the 'hack' of providing the support_asr.dat file with a 1 in it was put in the asr folder.

In fact, the latest 720's released by TT had VR enabled 'out of the box'

If my memory serves me well, I think 730 does offer Voice Input Address while 720 doesn't.
However, I don't remember this feature controled by firmware or hardware.

Nope I have 720, and picked up a 730 this weekend at a local Circut city's going out of business sale for only $125. Both have VR. and do it pretty well. I was just wondering what the big difference were between them if any. I have put them side by side and other then a few minor interface changes, I cant discern any "upgraded features" of the 730

Last edited:
Thanks all
I probably talking old :D
My statement is true for the original GO720, when it first released and not so true nowsday since it simply enable by upgrading firmware.

I just received a 720 for Xmas. I have been fiddling with it for a bit and have run into a few snags. It does not have VR, and since it shipped with the latest map (but w/o the required VR files) none of the hacks listed here will work.

But the things that bother me the most are 1)hands free calls cannot be routed to external speakers, 2) the phone contact list imported from my phone has only numbers - no names, and 3) The 720 will not let me use the voice dialing built into my LG VX8300.

I know that the 730 has VR enabled, but I am wondering if returning the 720 and getting a 730 would help with any of the other issues. The 730 manual seems to say that phone calls can be routed to external speakers. Is that true? Any input would be appreciated.

I just read in the newspaper yesterday that BestBuy has the GO720 for $179.00!!!

Ask a Question