difference between GO 720 and Go 730?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
Hi all, I'm a new comer to tomtomforums.com. I'm hoping some 1 here can help me with some questions on a new tomtom i've purchased.

I have recently purchased a tomtom go 730, and been using it for about 2 weeks now. From the 2 weeks of experience i had, i've ran into some questions. please help!

1. i hear that tomtom 720 has the exact same feature as 730 with the new firmware update. Is this true? if that is the case why should any1 pay extra $$ for the same features? or did i pay extra $$ for the black front bezel...lol :p

2. I've been driving around LA trying get the ALG(with the cool graphic :)) screen to pop up, i have seen couple but not many. Would i see more of this ALG graphic with the new map update? My map is 1 1/4yrs old i think.

3. I don't know if ne1 else have this issue.... when i try to connect my tomtom unit to my computer using desk dock, it will not reconize the unit. when i power on it will just go in to map screen instead of showing the "connect to my computer screen", but when i reset the unit it will show "connect to my computer screen" and able to connect, so everytime i try to connect the tomtom to my computer, i pretty much have to reset the unit everytime. is this normal?

#1. They're identical.
#2. Each map update should add a few more junctions/interchanges, but there is no way of knowing what additions there might be in your area (if any) other than checking with other users.
#3. No, it's not normal.

Whilst the behavour you are seeing at #3 above isn't normal there are others reporting the same problems, this seems to be a recent issue, no idea about fixing it but I don't think you are on your own with this fault - Mike

Try this and see whether it helps at all.......

Plug your doc into a different USB port on your computer, preferably one on the back.

Also, make sure the unit is sitting properly on the little mounting part of the dock.

3. I don't know if ne1 else have this issue.... when i try to connect my tomtom unit to my computer using desk dock, it will not reconize the unit. when i power on it will just go in to map screen instead of showing the "connect to my computer screen", but when i reset the unit it will show "connect to my computer screen" and able to connect, so everytime i try to connect the tomtom to my computer, i pretty much have to reset the unit everytime. is this normal?
Not "normal", no, but not unusual at this point, either. I have gotten to the point where I just do the pin reset before making the connection because it happens so often after I got involved in the 8.3xx firmware. Seems it started for me at 8.350.

thank you all, i appeciate your inputs. looks like i'm not the only 1 with this issue. lol
i've tried to connect my unit to different usb ports and also using different usb cable as well, and i also made sure that my unit was sitting properly, but no luck so far. I guess it is what it is, and i'm going to have the live with it. i'll try to contact tomtom tech support again and see if they have any solutions.

thx all again for the help!

Last edited:

Ask a Question