Recovering GO720 Backup To GO730

I had my GO720 for 2 years and it gave up the ghost. I obtained a new GO730 replacement and hooked it to the same computer containing TomTom Home used to backup the 720. I pick the option to Restore My Device and get an error that No Backup exists. Is there any way for me to salvage the work I've done on for the 720. I had Favorites saved and downloaded numerous POI files?

I had my GO720 for 2 years and it gave up the ghost. I obtained a new GO730 replacement and hooked it to the same computer containing TomTom Home used to backup the 720. I pick the option to Restore My Device and get an error that No Backup exists. Is there any way for me to salvage the work I've done on for the 720. I had Favorites saved and downloaded numerous POI files?
You're probably in good shape, but none of us recommend Home for backups. The files you need are stored in the map folder of your backup.

On your PC, look in My Documents/TomTom/Home/Backups/GO/Backup01

There, you'll find your map folder called North_America_2GB.

In that folder, you'll find any custom POI files you have created as *.OV2 files, and perhaps associated *.BMP files (the icons that match). Copy these to your North American map folder on your 730 using a normal Windows copy.

In this same folder, you'll find a file called mapsettings.cfg. Copy that to your North American map folder on your 730. IF this causes a problem with rebooting of your unit, use Home to Operate My Go and add a new favorite and save. That should resolve that, if it occurs.

Secondarily, BE AWARE THAT YOU NEED TO SET UP A NEW ACCOUNT WITH TOMTOM! Your old account is keyed to your old 720. Set up a TomTom account using an alternate email address if you have one, or a bogus one if you need to. Having two devices on the same account isn't workable, and can cause serious problems when TomTom tries to send you the wrong files for your unit, especially any map updates or other paid service that you bought or wish to buy. In the former case, TomTom tech support will need to transfer "ownership" to your new unit's serial number.

NOW -

Take the backup folder that was called BACKUP01 and rename it to something like BACKUPMY720. That way, Home will never see or try to use your old 720 information on your 730.

Next, use Windows to do a proper backup of your unit. Instructions for that procedure can be found here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Ask a Question