720 not seen in explorer

Hi,

I got a 720 and when I connect I cannot see it as a drive and cannot connect to HOME. When connecting with the unit on, it asks if I want to connect and when I hit YES it resets and then goes into the 'connected' mode with the image of it in the dock. If I connect the USB first and then turn it on, it goes directly to the dock image.

I tried a few things already - Flash Clear, reset about 15 times, factory reset on the unit itself, upgrade to 8.410 on SD card (shows NO MAPS when I let it start with the SD card in) - nothing helps.

My main problem is that it doesn't show in explorer, so I have to way to format/delete the files on the unit itself. When plugged in I can see the SD card, however - it's as if the 720 is now just a glorified card reader.

In the Device manager I see 2 TomTom GO entries under Disk Drives.

As of now, the unit still works for all intents and purposes, I just cannot get it to 'talk' to the computer.

I hope someone has a better idea of what I can do - I wonder is there are any programs that would let me access the device directly without needing explorer so I can format the internal memory and start rebuilding it.

Thanks,
Mihnea

First, dump that application. It's not meant for the 720. Go back to 8.351 (latest) and install on the sd card using Explorer if Explorer sees the unit (card in it) as a card reader. Unit should boot to the sd card then.

Try a pin rest again (sure you have the proper hole? I have to ask) with the card in.

If the unit is hanging on boot up,
go here for possible further assistance.

ok, got 8.351 on the SD, plugged it in, restarted the unit and when I connected it to the computer is did the exact same thing again: reboot, and returned to the 'plugged in' image and I can only see the SD card in explorer.

what now?

Ask a Question