backing up Tomtom Go 720 using Explorer

Kim

Could someone please tell me as simply as possible how to backup my 720 using Explorer. I'm not too swift when it comes to this sort of thing. I really would appreciate it.... Thanks.

Assuming a pc:

Control Panel-->Folder Options-->View-->Advanced: Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Now then, don't even start Home, or if you have it set to open when you connect your unit, then shut Home down.

With the unit connected to the pc, use Explorer and you will see the unit as a designated drive on your computer. It may show as E:, or F: or something else......

Select the drive. Highlight everything. (Ctrl-A). Select copy (Ctrl-C) and paste everything into a folder you've created on your computer's C: drive. Name the folder something meaningful like 'ffull backup of tomtom'.

Click on the folder and paste all the files/folders from the unit. (Ctrl-V). It'll take a few minutes. That's it!

If you also have a sd card in the 720, then that will show as a separate drive from the 720 itself. Do the same process with its contents. Have a second folder on your computer (something named like '720 sd contents'), then select the drive letter represented by the sd card in Explorer, highlight everything (Ctrl-A), copy (Ctrl-C) and select the folder on the pc where you want to copy the contents. Finally, Ctrl-V to paste.

Explorer backups are much more reliable than Home's are.

backing up

I assume the unit has to be turned on! Explorer doesn't show the drive letter for it otherwise.

Ask a Question