backing up via 1605

TomTom Model(s)
XXL540S, VIA1605
Having just bought a VIA1605, I noticed it does not connect to TomTom Home. Actually I can't find any way to connect to my computer to backup what is on the Via1605 incase of problems. Can backup be done to a computer? Appreciate if someone could advise.:confused:

These newer units do NOT use the old TomTom Home program. You need to download MyTomTom at the link below. What you can back up is minimal .. limited to your own content of favorites, POI, etc.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted/

In the systray, you'll find an icon for MyTomTom. Click that and you'll see the "Add community content" item. From there, you can back up and restore your favorites as a POI file, and a few other things.

With the main web page for MyTomTom running (it will come up when you connect your unit), you should also be able to see current maps and other subscription stuff.

WARNING! DO NOT REGISTER YOUR NEW 1605 USING THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS AS YOUR 540! USE A NEW ADDRESS! That will save all kinds of confusion on the TomTom server, since it associates each device with an email address.

backing up Via1605

Thank you Canderson :thumb: I had already installed MyTomTom and put another email address and updated. All done no problem. However the reason for the initial question was what happens if the software on the VIA1605 fails. How do we reload if there is no backup. After all. The whole reason for a backup was incase of failure. Does the unit become obsolete and I have to buy a new unit? What happens then?
Another question. I recently bought the UK map for my XXL. Backed up of course. Can that map, if I put it on the microSD card, be used on the Via1605?
Appreciate your input.

If the software fails, we have a way to 'punt' it back to the previous version that was installed on the unit. There is a backup - just held internally (and invisibly). I don't recommend this unless needed, but if you hold down the power button until you see the diag screen (it takes quite a while) and then press the power button quickly 3 times, the device will reload the prior known good version of code.

As for moving maps, no. All of these maps for both old and new version devices are keyed to the individual unit serial number. There were maps pre-loaded and sold on SD cards ages ago, but that's not your situation now.

Thank you again Canderson.
I used the Via1605 first time today. Works well. Can't complain.
However, as I don't intend to use the traffic service, I'm retired, how do I remove the trafic panel on the right side of the screen. Don't need it.
And can I get an English speaking text to speech voice for the unit. There is the US version only available but no English voice. What do the UK have? And can I get it?

Grab an inexpensive USB cigarette adapter (5V at 1A or above) and a USB-A to USB-microB cable. Both are readily available. That will eliminate the little traffic 'egg' that is on your cable and shut off the traffic info on the right side. I don't know of any way to configure these devices to avoid trying to use the RDS cable if it's attached.

On your unit, you should find Samantha. She's your English speaking 'computer' voice. Select that and you should be good to go. That's the only one that will have come with your unit. No way to swap computer voices (yet) on these newer units, so you won't be able to grab the UK voice at this time.

UK English text to speech voice for all the new models is "Serena".
But as canderson says, you only get the one(s) that TomTom think you should have, (depending on where the unit was bought), and currently that's what you're stuck with.

UK English text to speech voice for all the new models is "Serena".
But as canderson says, you only get the one(s) that TomTom think you should have, (depending on where the unit was bought), and currently that's what you're stuck with.
So "Serena" is available on the NAV3 units on your side of the pond?

Perhaps there are some advantages in living where people drive on the wrong side of the road.

I have only Samantha available on my GO LIVE 1535 - except for the "basic" voices that do not pronounce the street names. However, both Serena and Samantha are available on my TomTom Android app, and I like Serena much better than Samantha.

On the other hand, I also have the CoPilot Android GPS app installed on my phone, and the voice that comes with that software could be classified as an instrument of torture, IMO. So I cannot complain too much about having to tolerate Samantha on my 1535.

But I still would prefer Serena . . .

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Samantha sounds like a 3 pack a day smoker. Bring back Susan!

Ask a Question