7.10 map update!!

TomTom Model(s)
TT ONE Europe 2nd Ed.
First off, I should inform (or warn) you all that the new 7.10 map (I updated to Map of Western Europe) is using TeleAtlas maps - I upgraded from v6.60 which was a Navteq map and in fact I was very happy with it.
But because I'm one of these people who likes to have the absolute update of everything and particularly because I wanted to use MapShare, I took the plunge about a week ago to update my TomTom ONE Europe 2nd Edition and all I can say is that I was majorly disappointed with it. I regret it deely already!
I have been using it for the past week and although, the new TT software update has MapShare, the map quality and detail of 7.10 compared to 6.60 is very poor! I'm using MapShare which is a brilliant feature, BUT I'm finding that I'm using MapShare to add corrections and road mistakes to roads that were all perfect in the previous version that I was using.
In the new maps, I'm finding alot of the roads are missing and junctions are all out of align and you will often find that the map will tell you that the road you're travelling on has a large bend or series of bends ahead when in fact the road is as straight as an arrow. It would often also tell me that I'm approaching a T-Junction when in fact I've already passed it, not much good if you're passing a whole series of T-Junctions and don't know which one to take and it will only then correct you after you've taken the wrong one. The Navteq maps were far more detailed and accurate and I'm finding alot of the roads are coming up as "unnamed road" when they were all fully and perfectly named correctly in v6.60.
MapShare is without a doubt a fantastic feature when compared to other satnav devices currently on the market and it probably has other Satnav manufacturers seething and foaming at the mouth because they didn't think of it first, but I have a funny feeling that MapShare wasn't a TomTom invention, (those in the know can correct me) but I do strongly believe that it was probably in fact a TeleAtlas invention, because they are so brutal at updating and keeping their maps "up-to-date, detailed, fresh and accurate" and they probably pitched the idea to TomTom as a way of getting the public to be their mini-cheap cartographers instead of hiring proper cartographers to hit the ground and research the constant changes within different geographical areas.
However, of course, everyone's experience of the new map update will be different and some will be pleased that that little road or roundabout down the way from their house which was missing in previous map versions is finally in the updated v7.10 map, but if you are thinking of updating - I would say, update with caution, prepare to be a little disappointed as you will find that you will be spending alot of your time adding road corrections with MapShare that may be already perfectly fine in your present version.
If you have 6.60 or 6.75 and are happy with it - my advice is to stick with it for the foreseeable future - but if you want to update just to use MapShare then don't bother at all - perhaps leave it till 2009 to update!

Thanks for the warning. I also like to have the newest update but not when it is actually a setback!!

I upgraded and havnt noticed a difference in my area so far. But then again, no new roads where they have been there for a year or more. I prefer Navteq as well :(

I updated to the new map on Friday and I love it. I can change so many things and make them right since whomever made the POI seem to be off a little. I plan on sharing all of my changes with the mapshare community and I hope everyone else does the same. These forums are great!

Ask a Question