3rd edition giving me longer routes

I am trying to set up a route from New York City to Michagan. All other maps like Mapquest gives you a route mainly on I-80 which takes 12:29 mins.

My Tomtom 3rd edition gives me a longer route one which takes 15:27 minutes. Which is over 100 miles longer.

It is set for the fastest route.

Can anyone help please.

I am trying to set up a route from New York City to Michagan. All other maps like Mapquest gives you a route mainly on I-80 which takes 12:29 mins.

My Tomtom 3rd edition gives me a longer route one which takes 15:27 minutes. Which is over 100 miles longer.

It is set for the fastest route.

Can anyone help please.

Do you by any chance also have 'Avoid Toll Roads' selected?

You might try using the 'Navigate via' function to force it to go a particular way. Under this option, I would use 'Point of map'. Zoom in really close and use a pointed object like a stylus to place your point on the map. (Make sure you have selected the correct lane on a freeway!)

This is like making an itinerary, except that you are limited to just one waypoint.

Thanks, I tried almost all option to get it to route on I-80 but it only give 3:30 mins compare to 6:50.

The strange thing is it is giving you the Original info on the shorter route 12:29 mins but above that it gives the 15:27 mins as the fastest route.

I did a routing from NYC to say, Flint, MI, and it routed me there all along Route I80. Time 11:15 hrs. This is with map v7.15 on a TomTom One v2.

I have found that the routes selected between mapquest, google, garmin, etc and tomtom are very similar routes with minor differences here and there. The TomTom always over estimates the time to travel the route. I would not worry if the tomtom picks a route that it reports takes a lot longer, in reality it is probably within minutes of any other route.

This is a shame as tomtom almost always gets bashed in reviews because the routes take more time, but again, in reality they are all within a few minutes.

Thanks to all for you help. I solved the problem. I was going by the voice instruction and when it prompt me "Toll charges" I said yes meaning pay toll. However, the written instruction said to avoid toll.

When I select no it worked find.

Thanks again.

Thanks to all for you help. I solved the problem. I was going by the voice instruction and when it prompt me "Toll charges" I said yes meaning pay toll. However, the written instruction said to avoid toll.

When I select no it worked find.

Thanks again.

Yes, I've caught myself answering wrong a couple of times too. They should ask, "Are toll roads okay?" The question seems backwards to me. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question