340XL and Map Upgrade

Hi -- I'm new to this forum but not to TomTom. I've had an older "One" for many years.

Ok, so I just purchased a 340XL-S as an upgrade after giving my older unit to my son.. Prior I had read several "reviews" about a map upgrade problem. Before purchasing this unit I called tech support and they assured me the map upgrade issue was resolved. After I got the unit home I was excited to get started and planned time to do so. (I had an older TT One and did new upgrades take time.) The first thing asked when plugging into TTH was something about "Congratulations - you are eligible for a free map upgrade." I recalled the tech support person saying, "... the map issue is resolved..." So, without backing up the unit, I downloaded the map. I received an error message after about a hour or so and sent a problem report to TT.

I unplugged the unit and turned it back on. Now all I get (after some introductory screens) is: "You cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-75." It does not go any further than this.

Looking forward to any help. Thanks.

Cannot open the .cab file. Perhaps due to the fact that I am using a Mac and there is no application to open it. But thanks for the rest.. Am in the middle of the first backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this:

1. Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

2. Use Explorer to navigate to: C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps. You should see a .cab file for the downloaded map.

3. If so, and you have confirmed the backup in step 1 took place, delete the loose files in the root of the unit. No folders or their contents.

4. Connect your unit to Home and you should be offered an application. Accept it and install. Close Home but keep your unit connected to the computer.

5. Now then, follow the steps here to install the map from step 2.

I was able to unzip the map file. Now I get a notice that the maps are too big to fit my device. I believe there are only 176mg space left. There must be left over garbage on the device.

After the complete backup using Finder, remove the specific map folder from the unit. Also, remove the voices folder.

Now, use the instructions in a previous post to expand the contents of the cab file to the unit without using Home.

Ok.. did that, still tells me, in TTH, that I cannot install the maps. Also when I get information for the device in finder it tells me that there is 1,79 gig available now. Should I try to install all the unzipped map files directly to the unit using finder? Sorry to be a pain but I don't want to mess this up.

Home is not involved. Close it. After the backup, remove the map folder and the voices folder from the unit using Finder. Then install using Finder and the instructions in the link. See if that works.

You can use Home once the map is installed to Add Voices and install. Don't select more than you think you'd actually use.

Ask a Question