3/12 Map Update

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest something for the following problem. On the 12th, when the new map came out, I was out of town in a hotel, and decided to update my TomTom Go 720 map. I did it, and everything seemed okay, until I got in the car and selected where I wanted to go. The message displayed was the usual, "calculating route," but as the various numbers were running through, it would get to around 10K of 9M, and stop. When I looked at the map, it would show multiple roads where there was only one. For instance, at the destination I selected, there were six or eight parallel highways where there should have been only one.

When I got back, I was eventually able to restore the device to an older map. Then I got the bright idea that the previous map download was corrupted due to using a hotel wifi. So I tried updating again, with the same result. I live in a rural area, and my road is the only one for at least a mile in any direction. However, it showed three or four roads intersecting, plus another parallel to mine, but way too close. I have an SD card in the unit that has worked for many previous updates. Any ideas? Thank you.

Welcome to TTF.

I presume the updated map was 865 for your unit and that you do have application 8.351 installed?

It also could be a corrupt download of the 865 map to you. If you go here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

and rename the folder highlighted to Downloadsold, you should get the map offered again. Make sure you are not using a wireless connection.

So, make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents, download and install the map again and see if you have the same problems.

Also, perhaps you can give some locations here and others with the 865 map can see what their results show.

It also could be a corrupt download of the 865 map to you. If you go here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

and rename the folder highlighted to Downloadsold, you should get the map offered again. Make sure you are not using a wireless connection.

So, make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents, download and install the map again and see if you have the same problems.

Also, perhaps you can give some locations here and others with the 865 map can see what their results show.

I will try what you suggest and see what happens. Thanks again.

For instance, at the destination I selected, there were six or eight parallel highways where there should have been only one.
That's one of the most remarkable symptoms I think I've ever heard reported here. Are the 'parallel' roads actually duplicates of the one that belongs? If you go to map view, zoom up a bit and touch each of them, do the names for each appear as is normal when selecting an item in map view? I confess that this is more a matter of personal curiosity than anything, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around just how what you see could be happening.

Meanwhile, "hiding" your original uploads per dhn's suggestion of the rename should be done, and an attempt made to download the map again. Home shouldn't actually download a new map if it finds the equivalent one already on your PC.

I am fairly sure this is a corupt map download BUT (its worth a try) reset the device by pressing the reset button in the base with a pin (or similar), the device might have simply got in a knott, you won't lose any data or settings trying this - Mike

That's one of the most remarkable symptoms I think I've ever heard reported here. Are the 'parallel' roads actually duplicates of the one that belongs? If you go to map view, zoom up a bit and touch each of them, do the names for each appear as is normal when selecting an item in map view? I confess that this is more a matter of personal curiosity than anything, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around just how what you see could be happening.

Meanwhile, "hiding" your original uploads per dhn's suggestion of the rename should be done, and an attempt made to download the map again. Home shouldn't actually download a new map if it finds the equivalent one already on your PC.

I restored the unit, so I can't check it to be sure, but I believe it didn't show anything. If it does it again, I will check again to be sure.

I am fairly sure this is a corupt map download BUT (its worth a try) reset the device by pressing the reset button in the base with a pin (or similar), the device might have simply got in a knott, you won't lose any data or settings trying this - Mike

I did reset multiple times, but it didn't help.

I remember a post years ago with similar symptoms from a corrupt map download. They even posted pictures with road lines all over the place (kinda spiderweb looking).

So you're not alone. Glad it's working again for you.

Corrupt download

Well, it turns out if was a corrupt download. After hiding the previous download,and downloading the map file again, all is well. Thank you for your assistance!

Ask a Question