2 questions about my one Le

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One LE
1. How come google maps shows a trip form my house to magic kingdom 100 miles and 1hr 53m and my tomtom shows 101 miles and 2hr 29min?

2. It the one made to be a disposable gps? the reason I ask is because you can buy it for 139 to 149. after a year or so, you would want to get the latest maps. but the price of the maps are about the same price as the one. any thoughts on that?

1. TomTom and Google use different routing algorithms. They might both give you the same route; they might give you different ones.

2. GPS units and maps are like razors and razor blades. Cheap to buy the razor; expensive to buy the blades. Fortunately last year's maps are still a lot more useful than last year's razor blades. It's like this with any GPS--not just the One and not just TomTom.

1. TomTom and Google use different routing algorithms. They might both give you the same route; they might give you different ones.

2. GPS units and maps are like razors and razor blades. Cheap to buy the razor; expensive to buy the blades. Fortunately last year's maps are still a lot more useful than last year's razor blades. It's like this with any GPS--not just the One and not just TomTom.

Thank you for the reply.. Google and tomtom had the same exact route. Just the time difference was way off. I have driven this rout before and google had the time right, but tomtom is 70min off! As far as The razer analogy, you hit it on the head.. just wondering if I should just buy the 920t, and give the one to a family member.. If I spend say 5 - 600 on the gps, when I need to replace the map. it would be worth it instead of a whole new gps..

There is no evidence that the One is a throw away unit. Its present low price is just what happens in the world of electronics and economies of scale.

North Americans are just getting into GPS's like this. In the last few months, I would say. (Just look at the growth of this forum in the last month!!) Europeans are a couple of years ahead - their road systems are much more complex so they recognized the usefulness of these devices right away.

I bought a One in France a year and a half ago for $500. The One wasn't available in North America at the time. Think how I feel when I see today's prices!:mad:

The 920 costs more because it has more features. It's not that its construction quality is superior.

Last edited:
It the one made to be a disposable gps?

Even though they say you can't change the battery, you can. So the main thing to limit its hardware life would be the LCD backlight. Those typically last many many thousands of hours.

Therefore I think you'd outgrow its features long before the hardware fails. Hardly disposable.

I've found that TomTom's time estimates are very pessimistic - they always seem too long. OTOH, Garmin's estimates are too optimistic. Maybe we need one of each and we should average the times? ;)

I have a 920T and spent awhile playing with the different models before buying it (I've also put around 100,000 miles on a Garmin StreetPilot 2620 and Nuvi 650). I think the 920T is a nice upgrade if you can afford it. The maps are better - maybe no difference in the roads themselves but the 720 and 920 maps have more geographic details. The 920T also gives you international maps if that's something you want.

The hardware is also quite a bit more powerful - 400mhz CPU, 64MB RAM, 4GB internal storage vs your 266mhz CPU with 32MB RAM and 1 GB storage. The 920T also has dead reckoning for times when you lose GPS signal and it includes the traffic receiver and remote control.

But if you're trying to "future proof" your GPS, I think that will be an unattainable goal. Every few months something cooler/better/bigger/faster will be introduced and the price will be lower. Personally I have never paid to upgrade maps on my auto GPS units... that gives me a good excuse to buy a new one :)

if you're trying to "future proof" your GPS, I think that will be an unattainable goal. Every few months something cooler/better/bigger/faster will be introduced and the price will be lower. Personally I have never paid to upgrade maps on my auto GPS units... that gives me a good excuse to buy a new one :)

Thats exactly what I was thinking about. I understand ALL Electronics are like this. It just seems the price of the maps Compared to the price of the ONE gps don't make any sense. I love the one, its a great little unit and cannot beat the price I paid. It is my first GPS and wanted to see how it works.. the 920t seems to be exactly what I need for a gps.. Real Blue tooth Hands free calling, customizable, etc.. and would feel like buying a new map would be like buying a new gps..lol Thanks Everyone for your repels.. The other question about the times are alittle puzzling to me but I guess can live with them.. Thanks again..Tryton

ps. what would be the average "life Cycle' of the maps anyways? 2 yrs more..less

Last edited:
Also, the TT1LE has free map updates

For 3 months, I believe.

So how often do you have to change maps? Some people are frantic to have the latest. But personally, I suggest changing when you start having difficulties.

That could be a long time, as the established older parts of cities aren't going to change much (if that is where you mostly drive.) But if you often go into new suburbs, etc. then you may wish to upgrade more frequently.

So I think most of us are good for a couple of years. (Think about how often you felt the need to change your Rand-McNally Road Atlas!)

Ask a Question