16GB SD-HC card does work in 920

It has been 3 weeks with this card and absolutely no problems, I was wondering if anyone has had any simular luck or problems, I think this is a type and maker determination of which will work and not just a size issue.

Please add to this for others.

tim

I still have my issues with the 8gig PNY card. I have not done any additional testing or follow up as I don't know what else to try to gain full access to the card via the TomTom. I think that I have the most recent HOME versions. And even under Explorer, I can't access CERTAIN folders when the card is in the 920.

I've got XP SP2. USB2, I believe.

At the moment I don't want to throw any more $$ at this. I guess I could return the 8 gig card to BestBuy and try the one you purchased for, actually, a lot less money!!! I'm more inclined to throw money at a Micro for my new Blackberry 8830!!!! :eek:

PS Let me ask, have you placed Photos on the card? Any videos? How much "junk" have you placed on the card? I guess what I'm asking is have you done things that cause stuff to be written or re-written to the card, like the thumbnail.dat files created when you view a photo folder.

You can read all folders on the card when it is inside the tt either in Home or from Explorer looking at the TT as two disk drives?

Last edited:
I've had my 4GB A-Data card in my TT920 for 13 days now with absolutely no problems. I understand it doesn't have the upper and lower memory regions like the bigger cards....

I have 1.5GB of MP3s, and also color schemes and various startup pictures on it. It seems to work totally transparently with the built in memory of my 920.

Last edited:
my 16gb a-data card acts just like F22's. I can't access the card via tomtom. I have to put it in my card reader to access it. I have over 10gb of music and pictures on it. Its not a huge issue that I cant access through my tomtom home. With the card in and when I connect to tt home, the red x just blinks and I cant access the 16gb card. I will assume because its an sdhc card but I can still access the tt internal hard drive.

It has been 3 weeks with this card and absolutely no problems, I was wondering if anyone has had any similar luck or problems, I think this is a type and maker determination of which will work and not just a size issue.

tim

Tim,
I bought the 16 GB A-Data card like you. Was able to write to it with my HP multimedia computer which has an internal card reader. But when I wanted to add more files the reader came back and said that the card was write protected. Tried in DOS same problem. Bought a generic reader, would not even recognize the card. Back to the store and bought a more expensive reader from Sony that could handle the SDHC; bingo!. Could reformat the card and load 12 GB of mp3 and photos. Music playing nice along with the photo slide show for about 4 days now. :cool:

Tim,
I bought the 16 GB A-Data card like you. Was able to write to it with my HP multimedia computer which has an internal card reader. But when I wanted to add more files the reader came back and said that the card was write protected. Tried in DOS same problem. Bought a generic reader, would not even recognize the card. Back to the store and bought a more expensive reader from Sony that could handle the SDHC; bingo!. Could reformat the card and load 12 GB of mp3 and photos. Music playing nice along with the photo slide show for about 4 days now. :cool:

Can you fully read the card when inside the TT and connected by usb? Have you added new photos to it? And found them? Are they inside subfolders or are they all in the main Photos folder?

Just trying to get a hint at what I might need to do.

Actually, I have just used the Panasonice formatting program to WIPE the card in anticipation of returning it to Bestbuy. And am checking that wipe with the lexar photo recovery tool - to see if it finds anything or the card is relatively clean - Nothing that I have to hide but prefer my photos to remain in my copyright control.

Since no one has been by (this thread), I will edit....

I returned the 8gig card to Bestbuy. It was more than double in price what the 16gig costs from Newegg!!!

Goer910 (does this mean you have a 910 or ???) - what operating system - xp or Vista?

Would you mind listing the model of the Sony card reader?

Last edited:
SDHC query

It has been 3 weeks with this card and absolutely no problems, I was wondering if anyone has had any simular luck or problems, I think this is a type and maker determination of which will work and not just a size issue.

tim

-------------------
I have ordered the 16gb a-data card and will report on its arrival. (may have to wait a couple of weeks as I live in England and thanks to our lovely Chancellor I am forced to buy from the US where prices are not prohibitive! -US price: ?33 - UK price: ?89 [that's US$190!]).

I did try a Sandisk 4gb SDHC card with no success. Not recognised at all. I am also getting a new SDHC card reader - can anyone comment on the Sandisk MicroMate? I have a generic one similar to the one listed by Tim, though it did't work at all. (in fact, I am holding on to the 4gb card as it may actually be the reader preventing me to access it) - God this is so complicated!

Otherwise, L U V MY TOMTOM 920. !!!

Will report when there is some news. Thank you for all the postings. Very informative.

MA>

Ask a Question