16GB SD-HC card does work in 920

I was using a 4 gig card and it was fine until I read the forum member whom was able to get the A-Data 8gb card to work, so on christmas day I ordered a 16 gb SDHC card by a-data for an even $75 shipped to my door.

I picked it up today and the 920 only saw it as 3 gb card.

I attempted to format it in tomtom home under my computer and again it was only seen as a 3 gig card.

I then borrowed a friend's usb/stick pen card reader and re-formatted the card in fat-32 and the card showed up as 14.9 gigs after formatting in the fat-32 format.

I then placed the card in the 920 and when restarting the gps unit, tomtom home now saw it as 14.9 gigs.

I then loaded a couple gigs of mps's on the card and checked again and it shows the full size of the card available memory less the used space taken up by my mps's.

The final test was to see if the card acknowledged the music which it quickly did.

here is the link to the card I purchased from NewEgg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211245

Merritt also has this card for 71.50 shipped

http://www.meritline.com/a-data-16gb-turbo-sdhc-flash-card.html

if you do not need a full 16 gb, the same maker and type is available for $34 shipped in a 8 gb version

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211180

tim

Last edited:
sweet!

this is great to know thanks for sharing! I might pick up one of these for mp3 and video play back on my 920 :D

I think that I posted my less successful 8gig card (PNY).

While I was able to use the card SOMEWHAT in my 920, and HOME does show capacity, while in the Tomtom, I could not load in more data over about 3.8 gigs or so. It would not work in HOME nor in Explorer.

What is more is that when I went to my photo directory, the 920 imploded and rebooted. It appears that when viewing photos, it creates a thumbnail file. I gather that when trying to WRITE this file, the TT has trouble with the underlying directory (database) of file names or allocating space for the WRITE operation. It happened 3 times. But the mp3's I've loaded work fine as do other things that I gather do not try to write or write only small files.

after buying an 8gb SDHC card and having the same format problem, I queried tomtom about their maxiumum capacity, heres th answer:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

We recommend that you purchase from your local High Street Electrical Retailer, a 1 or 2GB High Speed SD card ( no larger than 4GB) with a minimum read/write speed of 10mb/s or higher.

That sounds to me like they are currently saying upto 4 gig is relaible.... rest is your risk. I've ordered a sdhc reader so I'll see how that goes.

I don't understand...these cards are already pre-formatted as FAT32 from the factory.

So why would re-formatting it as FAT32 show the full capacity? Just thinking out loud...

Yep, I filled up my 16GB SDHC Card with 4,590 MP3s (about a quarter of my MP3 library), and it plays on the 920 with no problem (in shuffle mode--yeah!). This will be great on those long road trips when you can easily get tired of listening to the same songs over and over again in a 6-disc CD changer.

OK now when is the 80GB SDHC card going to come out....next year? I resisted getting an iPod because it isn't bluetooth which is puzzling. Maybe Jobs will announce a new bluetooth iPod on the 15th. In the meantime I will use my smartphone and the 920 to play MP3s with a bluetooth stereo headset.

Last edited:
I just purchased the 4GB, Class 6, A-Data SDHC card for my 920 for $19.00 from Newegg ($13.00 with rebate). Only thing is my PC's card reader does not recognize it when this card is plugged in. Is there any way, possibly by using TTH to get my MP3s on to the card?

If that's not possible, what's the least expensive card reader, or whatever way....that I would need to get the music on the card?

Never mind...I figured out how to get the MP3s on the new card while in the 920. Now I've got to get the photos, schemes, and voices to transfer. BTW, the card comes up on the TT as being 3.885 GB. It's strange that the SD card while in the TT came up in "My Computer" as a separate drive (I:, the 920 is J: ). I tried in the past to access the SD from the PC, but it didn't seem to have it's own drive letter, now it does...very strange.

Also, when transferring everything over, do I need to transfer the MSMETADATA, WMDRM, WMPInfo.xml, and 3 files labeled Connect2internet.db, .do, and db.ver that are currently on the older SD card?

Last edited:
Just remember to use the TaskTray icon to STOP those drives before UNplugging the usb cable.

For my 920, I only copied the files I wanted like mp3's, photos, poi files but not any part of the TT base application.

I was using a 4 gig card and it was fine until I read the forum member whom was able to get the A-Data 8gb card to work, so on christmas day I ordered a 16 gb SDHC card by a-data for an even $75 shipped to my door.

I picked it up today and the 920 only saw it as 3 gb card.

I attempted to format it in tomtom home under my computer and again it was only seen as a 3 gig card.

I then borrowed a friend's usb/stick pen card reader and re-formatted the card in fat-32 and the card showed up as 14.9 gigs after formatting in the fat-32 format.

I then placed the card in the 920 and when restarting the gps unit, tomtom home now saw it as 14.9 gigs.

I then loaded a couple gigs of mps's on the card and checked again and it shows the full size of the card available memory less the used space taken up by my mps's.

The final test was to see if the card acknowledged the music which it quickly did.

here is the link to the card I purchased from NewEgg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211245

if you do not need a full 16 gb, the same maker and type is available for $34 shipped in a 8 gb version

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211180

tim

Okay, Tharvey, I'm back with more questions about your success.

I was just doing something with the TT920 plugged into usb.

I have no trouble negotiating the INTERNAL drive (memory) of the 920.

I was trying to look at my 8gig card (PNY) while it is INSIDE the 920 and hooked to usb. Using Windows Explorer, I find the drive (j: in my case).

I can open ONLY SOME folders. I see see files and even play tunes or view photos. But for OTHER FOLDERS I get an error messages from Windows.

First message: "Place a disk in Drive J:"

Second message: "J:\audio is not available, Incorrect parameter"

I believe that the folders or files I am trying to look at were written to the "upper portion" of my 8gig card. That is after I filled it beyond the approx 3.85gigs that the 920 recognizes, that the card's contents are not available from my COMPUTER/usb connection.

Do you get similar errors or can you gain access via usb to all of your 16gigs.

As I wrote, elsewhere, when the tomtom920 is standalone and operating (not attached to the computer usb), I can gain access to mp3's even if they are in the upper storage (above 3.85 gigs) and my photos but in some cases, the 920 will reboot - In my opinion, it is when the 920 attempts to write to the card in a location above the 3.85 gig amount.

(the 3.85 gig is an approximation of what the tt recognizes).

I can still return the card to BestBuy if there are other larger cards that fully work in the 920.

Thanks for any info.

Intially I used a 4 gig card by sandisk and it was already formatted in fat 32 and worked perfectley as long as I made a folder named "mp3" and put mp3 files in this folder.

I was able to see it in tomtom home as a 4 gig folder and it updated itself the more I filled it up.

I then got the 16 gb sd card from a-data and in tomtom home it saw the card but only as 3.2gb. When I used the computer to format the drive letter which in my computers case was drive "J" I formatted it and got a capacity of once again 3.2 gb in fat 32.

I then got a pen drive usb device and plugged the unit into the usb port with the card inside it, once again it saw it as 3.2 gb. I then once again formatted the card which was now in the pen drive and got a capacity of 14.8gb.

I took the card out of the pen drive placed it in the tomtom and then into the cradle and when launching tomtom home It now see's it as a 14.8gb drive. When I check under the drive letter assigned by the computer which is letter "J" it see's the card as 14.8 gb.

As I filled up the card with my mp3's the size goes down equally.

It appears that regardless of new or used the card should be formatted outside of the tomtom in an appropiate card reader to it's correct size and once this is done it can then be inserted in the tomtom and it will work correctly.

I used the one cent card reader that I have listed under my accessories for the tomtom to format the card to it's correct capacity

See the bottom of this link for the card reader I used

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=6822

hopes this helps you out

tim

I bought the 16gb SDHC and the 1 cent card reader also. I can see the card in my computer now without it locking and I can play mp3's in the tomtom 920. What I can't do is see the card in tomtom home. The red x just keeps blinking although I can still download updates to tomtom while its blinking- just not to the sd card. When I view pictures on the slideshow, I can't. I get an error- lock switch is enabled- its not. I can view them one at a time. Is this happening to anybody else?

P.S.- I did format the sd to fat32 also.

Last edited:
You can see my reply above where I have had troubles or issues with an 8gig card in my 920.

It appears that I can "use" certain data on the card such as my mp3 files. It appears that POI's I've placed on the card in appropriate directories also work.

I've had similar problems with photos. I attribute the problems to the fact that the 920 has to write to the SD card as it scans/indexes the photos. It writes a Thumbnail.Dat file. I think that since the TT only knows about or deals with 4 gig SD cards, that it might have trouble trying to write that file.

But I can only speculate what the problems might be. I have formatted and REformatted the card a few times. I used a Panasonic formatting program that is suppose to be designed for larger cards. I have copied and recopied files to the SD card in different order and similar efforts. Some of these efforts appear to work but then I have problems again - the 920 goes BLACK and then reboots.

Last edited:
I figured out the picture issue. I somehow enabled in the security menu to disable some options. I unchecked the box and now they work fine. I thought since I was using a 16gb card that the lock enable was on the card itself and the tomtom was not reading it correctly.

I figured out the picture issue. I somehow enabled in the security menu to disable some options. I unchecked the box and now they work fine. I thought since I was using a 16gb card that the lock enable was on the card itself and the tomtom was not reading it correctly.

Which "security menu?"

Sorry, in the SAFETY preferences, the 1st box- hide most menu's while driving. with this checked, when you try to view pictures- even when standing still- I was in my house, a warning comes up that says safety lock enabled. I thought that was the lock on my new card was creating the warning.

Ask a Question