1535TM question

TomTom Model(s)
none
i previous gsp had the ablility to add words on the startup screen (user name and phone it case of lost). can you do this on the new 1535TM? add words to the start up screen?

You can create a custom startup image in .bmp or .jpg format and use a paint program to add text to it.

Upload it using either method I described in your other thread.

As dhn says -- words, pictures, whatever you like so long as it's a jpg or bmp file of correct proportions for your screen (480x272 or some multiple of that. If you don't use those proportions, it will stretch your image one way or the other to fit). Here's my traveling friend Samantha Fox (had to match up to a Samantha voice, right?)

Attachments

• Samantha Fox.jpg
    Samantha Fox.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 301
Thanks again for all the support. Another quick questions(i hope!)
So far the unit is very good. 1.) is there a way ensure i travel via a certain highway. the travel via option only asks for an address. let's say i want to travel via Rt 190S or over the Tappen Zee Bridge.

If you want to force the route over the Tappan Zee, you can set a "Via" point on the bridge itself using the "Travel Via" feature of the unit. Set up your destination as normal, then

Change route
Travel via
(Right arrow)
Point on map

Just be sure you select a point in the lanes going the right direction on the bridge (zoom in so you are sure) so that your unit isn't trying to take you in a huge crazy loop to use the 'wrong' side of the bridge!

Not knowing your desired route, I can't be sure that my overly simplified approach will get you exactly what you want, but you can add up to 3 via points to try to force the route to your taste.

If you didn't use the Tappan Zee, where else would you cross? It's kind of a long way down to the GW or up to Bear Mountain!!! But again, I don't know where you're starting.

Thanks so much. What about a particular highway such as Rt 190S? do i still need to use the point on the map technque or can i search somehow?

Also, i try to bypass the GW as much as possible coming from NE since i seem to always get nailed with traffic!

You would use this same technique any time you want to force a route along a specific piece of road. It can take some fiddling at times, since if you're asking for fastest routing, and your via point would actually cause it to be faster to backtrack to the road you didn't want, the TomTom would do this! So be sure that the point you pick is far enough down the course of your trip that backtracking wouldn't be possible without slowing the trip down a lot.

You can use any of several methods to select the via point. If it is something you do regularly, you can even create a 'Favorite' of a point that will do the job so that you can select it very quickly and easily for other trips. Then you just select Travel via and your favorite instead of fiddling with the map.

Basically, you can set a "via" point by any of the usual methods (address, postcode, point on map, POI, Favourite etc.) but very few road numbers are in the "address" database.

So for most highways, using "point on map" is the best method.

Ask a Question