Tomtom 1535TM traffic question

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1535TM
First off. I Was told by a tomtom rep that it worked in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Well in the last week ive driven by a few and nothing shows up on the gps :( Do i have to do anything special for it to work? And yes its plugged in properly and it says its connected and i see the arrow and finish line :)

Was told by a few reps at tomtom that LIVE does not work in canada thats why i didnt buy it :(

With live dont i need a cell phone plan with it? how does it communicate?

Reps at tomtom where? Whatever, they were wrong.

No, you don't need a cell phone plan. The LIVE model comes with an imbedded sim card that connects to the Rogers network. The first year is free. Then, it's $60/yr to renew LIVE services, including LIVE traffic.

When you pay your annual dues with TomTom, it's on them to take care of Rogers for you. You and Rogers will never have a 'relationship'.

K well i "tried" out the LIVE unit for the last few days and traffic does NOT work in Edmonton, alberta, canada. (The reps were right) and also the traffic dongle on the via 1535 does not work either untill the service rolls into this area.

"LIVE does not work in canada"...

If you believe TomTom's web page (and you mustn't do so), there are no Live services offered in Canada at all http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=14&tab=49&Lid=22 so is it any wonder tech support doesn't get their story right, either? The 1535 was what put Live 'on the map' up there, so to speak.

HD traffic is working in Calgary - don't know why it wouldn't be working in Edmonton.

Let's start with something simpler to check on what's happening. What happens if you attempt to access Weather with your unit?

didnt think you could access weather with the 1535tm. Thats what i stuck with cause its cheaper :)
Weather should show up on the "Live Services" menu of your 1535 and you should receive it if LIVE Services are available in your area.

It does on my 1535 in Southern California.

- Tom -

Scratching head. Is this guy sitting on a VIA1535 or a GO1535 at the moment???

If he still has the Via1535 we started out talking about, no, there's no weather. But then he says he's "tried" out the LIVE unit", so I'm assuming he now has access to a GO1535.

To the OP - can you please shed some light on whatever it is you have in your hands. The two models are quite different, and our advice will vary accordingly!!!

Bought it and tried it out then decided not to keep it then returned it. Most Canadian retailers allow you to "try" the product for 30 days.

im using the VIA 1535TM. I thought the arrow would have given it away:confused:

OK great. Can you now put it in your profile so it shows up under your name in your posts, please?

There are too many similar numbers being used by TT now for us to get away with abbreviating model names in posts, but I know it gets boring writing it out every time. Having it in the profile or your signature avoids all this confusion and wasted time.

Ask a Question