140 Map Update Service

This is just a heads up to anyone interested in the Map Update Service subscription for the One 140.

I had been trying to purchase the subscription over TomTom Home and kept getting a "server error". After calling support I was told that the subscription service wasn't yet available for the 140. I asked if, once it was available, owners would be required to purchase the latest map before adding the subscription. I was told no.

This is just a heads up to anyone interested in the Map Update Service subscription for the One 140.

I had been trying to purchase the subscription over TomTom Home and kept getting a "server error". After calling support I was told that the subscription service wasn't yet available for the 140. I asked if, once it was available, owners would be required to purchase the latest map before adding the subscription. I was told no.

I doubt that is accurate.

Why buy a 50+ dollar map when you can get 4 for 40 dollars?

When I subscribed to the service I had to purchase the newest map (at a discount) then I got 1 year of updates. It ended up costing about 10 dollars more then just a single map, so it was a pretty good deal to me...

I dont know what happens if you already have the latest map. Heheh you probably get a "server error" until you dont have the latest map, then you have too buy the latest map too get the subscription lol....

Yes, you're probably right. I wanted to see what the tomtom rep said. I may call back to see if I get a different answer. Of course, they don't talk about availability at all on the website.

Living in the Washington D.C. area, the streets and exits are constantly changing, however if they end up charging for the newest map with a subscription, I'll be waiting a while.

Others have also reported that the subscription is down for the USA/CAN/MEX map. Tomtom probably wants to make sure it can shrink it before committing to selling 4 upgrades of it.

Currently, Tomtom charges around $10 to upgrade any 8xx series map to the current version, when accompanied with a subscription purchase. You end up getting 5 quarters for the price of 5, vs 4 quarters for the price of 4. So it's not an unreasonable cost.

Thanks! If that's the case, that's not too bad.

Even with the newest IQ routes map for the 140, there are still some major highway routes in DC that are out of date. For example, I495/I95 over the Potomac River have local and non-local through lanes that opened late last year that aren't yet on the map.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had found a resolution to this yet (or heard more from TomTom)... I have a same-generation TomTom (XL 340-S) and have wanted to subscribe to the Update Service for a few weeks now. I am getting an internal error when I try to purchase the map update service. If I click "Show details" I get:

ERROR: 298/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: An error has occurred. Please try again later.
An error has occurred. Please try again later.
Error code: 298
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment
Additional information: info = [object]
info.func = [string] payment/initiatePayment
info.args = [object]
info.args.deviceSerial = [string] RU3139B02088
info.args.pragueSerial = [string]
info.args.deviceCapabilities = [string] ArrivalSounds CarSymbol Caymann Documents Durham HomeBackup InternalFlash Itinerary Leeway LinkVolumeToSpeed MapOverlays MapShare Newyork NotAutomotiveEmbedded PlusEphemeris PlusFuelPrices RDSTMC SDSlot StartupImage SupportGetAMap SuspendImage TTS TTSCompressed TTSLoquendo700 Traffic VoiceBrowser WarningSounds screensize=480x272
info.args.deviceParameters = [string] {"ApplicationVersion":"1239","ApplicationVersionVersionNumber":"8414","VehicleBrand":"","VehicleModel":""}
info.args.items = [string] 80138
info.args.productlist = [string] 80138

info.method = [string] POST
info.useCache = [string] false
info.dryRun = [string] false
info.xmluploadbody = [xml] <initiatePayment>
<contentidlist>
<content idurl="http://str1.id.tomtom.com/map/USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P?version=830.2325" certificate="USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-37.meta.dct:BAAAADCwvffQZcWn1nMU9VReP7H3p9q1d/IJ/chw8NglrktYpRLB6CUBK72PtgeDRKOtcqOdLJiRk4b1PCeTLy6/sa5pUOXZxaot/yusnMKlmkpL5ohe5bjotjmYY57WqyOwCJIS+nC5Ro/PkWIV4jO5kVVI5Zl6xFS7abkUTCDNt4m7,"/>
</contentidlist>
</initiatePayment>

Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:468
xmluploadbody: this.xmluploadbody
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:430
this._doneCallbacks();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:277
this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

Time: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 02:17:52 GMT

I called TomTom support about it and after about an hour of troubleshooting they said that the Map Update Service wasn't available for the XL 340-S. This seems fishy to me because (a) why would they try to troubleshoot for an hour before telling me that if that's really the case, (b) why would HOME prompt me to purchase the service if my device was ineligible, and (c) why does HOME give some goofy, obscure error code rather than a notice that "This service is not compatible with your device" or something to that effect?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance

I get the same error message.

A new map will be available in a few days. It will be interesting to see if we get the same error message then.

Well, here it is a year later and I still get the same error:

ERROR: 236/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: %2AIT payment server returned an unexpected error%2A
%2AIT payment server returned an unexpected error%2A
Error code: 236
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment
Additional information: info = [object]
info.func = [string] payment/initiatePayment
info.args = [object]
info.args.deviceSerial = [string] RB5378C00957
info.args.pragueSerial = [string]
info.args.deviceCapabilities = [string] ArrivalSounds CarSymbol Caymann Documents Durham HDTraffic HomeBackup InternalFlash Itinerary MapOverlays Newyork Newyork1Dot6 NotAutomotiveEmbedded PlusBuddies PlusDownloadDynamic PlusDownloadGeneral PlusDownloadMap PlusDownloadPOI PlusDownloadRingTone PlusDownloadScheme PlusDownloadUpgrade PlusDownloadVoice PlusEphemeris PlusFixedSafetyCameras PlusFuelPrices PlusMessageNotification PlusMobileSafetyCameras PlusOnlineCamera PlusPushChannel PlusRoadConditions PlusTraffic PlusTripReporting PlusWeather Prague RDSTMC SDSlot StartupImage SuspendImage Traffic WarningSounds screensize=480x272
info.args.deviceParameters = [string] {"ApplicationVersion":"9381","ApplicationVersionVersionNumber":"8017"}
info.args.items = [string] 1300075,1300094
info.args.productlist = [string] 1300075,1300094

info.method = [string] POST
info.useCache = [string] false
info.dryRun = [string] false
info.xmluploadbody = [xml] <initiatePayment>
<contentidlist>
<content idurl="http://str1.id.tomtom.com/map/USA_and_Canada?version=815.2022" certificate="USA_and_Canada-22.meta.dct:AAAAAFNeAUgjxKFCXpZL+rE+L4RywyTgQ+G+ktn8GrPtvLARFgQ8QAvGSKu9Fe1GuX0jeIm8stnhutNmwsmJPCETey6i87ER9MGL3F99K33bXyS8TVgxJepqBinhf/c9TYj1jgdYz5zJyg1li2wCCLlFdjpGrjnRKvQqKlfwIGm5LFgH,"/>
</contentidlist>
</initiatePayment>

Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:468
xmluploadbody: this.xmluploadbody
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:430
this._doneCallbacks();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:277
this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

You'd think that with enough people having the exact same problem they'd actually try to fix it. I certainly won't purchase another Tomtom given how many people have problems with it.

You may wish to uninstall Home and reinstall and try again.

If no luck, call support at 866-486-6866.

Well, here it is a year later and I still get the same error:

You have a very rare app 8.017 on the device, and that may be confusing Tomtom's servers.

Try this:
- backup your device per this link
- remove reinstall your app per this link
- try the purchase again.

Ask a Question