140s Updated now 'Cannot use this map with this device'

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 140s (RED)
Hi,

I am new here & wonder if anyone might be able to help.

I got a One 140 Red a bit over a month ago, it came with Australian, New Zealand & US/Mexico maps preloaded. Was using it fine first in Australia & then New Zealand then again in Australia (switching maps worked fine).

Yesterday it mentioned that there may be some updates available via TT Home, so i connected it & it found some updates (quick gps fix, some map update & possibly an application update). So i let it update...

After disconnecting it & restarting the device it asked me to select which map to use, with the 3 above maps listed.

No matter which map i choose now it says "Problem with map. You cannot use this map with this device"

& thats the loop its stuck in... I press Ok to that & it goes back to asking me which map to use!

When i first got the device at the start of November 09 & connected it to Home i performed a backup via TT Homes Backup & Restore. Other than that i have an explorer backup which i did yesterday after the problem appeared. I dont know what application version my device is or was using.

Can anyone help please?
Many thanks,
Paul

The first thing to suggest is a reset of the unit. Hold the power button for about 15 seconds for your model.

Have you the latest application for your unit? Perhaps try this.

Make an Explorer, not home, backup of your unit's contents. Then, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Connect the unit to Home and it should offer an application. Download and install it.

disconnect the unit properly from the computer (Use Home's Device disconnect icon) and restart. Does that help?

I think 1 of the items it updated was the application, i should have taken more notice.

Will try that & post back!

Thank you!

Edit: No Joy :(
it did download app 8.x again, restarted itself fine. Still same error with choosing a map. So i let it update again & it installed 9.x, but the end result is still the same.

Last edited:
TomTom Support has made contact after 4 days, no info yet just:

"Sorry its taken so long to reply, we will get back to you"

Does anyone have any info about where i can download the tomtom OS for the 140S &/or maps from other websites?

Something in the last update has blocked my maps for some reason, maybe theres a file in the tomtom hd that i can edit or replace or something?

Time for more google, i need to boost the momentum.

GPS withdrawals :( I have tried so many things that dont work

First of all, navcore 9x is NOT meant for your model. I would suggest:
1. Backing up your unit using Explorer. Make SURE the backup is on your computer, especially the map folder!
2. Deleting all loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their files.
3. Going here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\programs\ and delte anything found there.

Now,

Format your unit. Don't use quickformat.

Then connect your unit to Home, it'll offer an application download. Accept and install. Copy back your map folder. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer and restart. See if it sees the map now.

As to any discussion about other sites for maps....

You best read the announcement at the top of every forum about illegal/hacked maps. Because any site except TomTom's site falls under that category and no discussion will be allowed here.

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply! I did do exactly what you said the first time & again the 2nd time, complete with the formatting of the device (which takes ages).

Im not sure why it said that i need v9.x ? And it did tell me that i had 1755 Map corrections in use on my device, so it was healthy!

Sorry if i conveyed the wrong impression regarding files, that wasnt my intention! Im just trying to work out why its broken & why updates have been fine until a week ago.

I have repeated the above process 3 times now & the end result is still the tomtom giving me the error "Problem with map, cant use this map on this device"

It was a refurbished 140S from Tomtom which only had 3months warranty & has worked perfectly until recently. So i wonder if it is actually a problem with the unit... i mean it was refurbished once for a reason right?

Well, ill just wait until tomtom actually replies with something that i can try.

Thanks,
Paul

Edit: The steps listed in your most recent post i also found online from some other user that had this issue, & those steps (with others) came from a tomtom rep to that user, but that did not work for my unit. Even removing all the tomtom home downloaded stuff in its various directories :(

Last edited:
I missed something VERY important in your first post.............the maps you said it came with.

Where did you get the refurbished unit from? The reason I ask is that if you have a 140, there is NO way all those maps should be on the device --- if legitimate!

I think you got a unit with a hacked operating system and hacked maps for the system to see them. When you updated the application to a legitimate one, it stopped recognizing the maps.

See this thread. Sound familiar (except for the model)?

Ah crap... I just had a read of that thread...

Looks like i got got as well :/

Exact same circumstances as go930user, mine also came from ebay the seller has a rating of 3200+ as well...

Now what do i do? Looks like I am S-O-O-L..

Sorry, mate...........

Did you happen to pay using Paypal? If so, you may be able to contact them.

Also, do you have a link to the ad you saw and, if so, can you post it here. We'll forward it to TomTom's legal department.

Call up Tomtom support.

The 140S is relatively new, the oldest editions would have had map 825 on them. You should at least be able to talk Tomtom into providing you with map 825 for free, as that would be identical to what the hardware shipped with.

Merry Christmas to you as well. Thanks for providing the link. The information will be sent to TomTom directly.

Hmm so the chap selling this illegal stuff is a "Power Seller" pretty stupid thing to be doing though selling goods loaded with stolen maps, many thanks for the link and I am sure the seller will be disapearing off flea-bay very soon - Mike

Ask a Question