New Larger POI Files

Hi, new Tomtom 720 user here. I downloaded and copied the files over for the new POI. Seems fine, but now there are some double Category listings: for example, I have two different categories called "Schools" and a few others are this way as well. I assume I can't just delete one of the categories because there may be POI's in there, right? What should I do - just leave them?

Here's a link to an application that is supposed to be able to deal with duplicates. Haven't tried it myself: http://sourceforge.net/projects/poi-dup-finder/

Did u remove the default POI.dat file?

Yes, I simplied copied and overwrote the new files to the maps folder (I backed up the originals on my PC of course).

Another strange thing.... if I go to the Mange POI menu on my TomTom and click on Add POI, it only lists 3 categories (Fire Stations, Playing Fields, Schools). And those are the 3 caregories that I get duplicates listed when I actually try to Navigate to a POI and click on Categories.

If I look at the files on my TomTom from Explorer on my PC, I can see the OV2 files for Fire Stations, Playing Fields, and Schools in the North American maps folder. I can also see the two new files I copied over (poi.dat which is 277MB and crpoi.dat which is 168MB).

Where does the TomTom actually get the list of caterogies at when you go into the Add POI menu? If I delete the 3 OV2 files for the duplicate categories from the map folder, I suppose it will solve my duplicate problem but then the category list will be empty in the Add POI list.

What should I do?

EDIT: Here's an example of what I'm talking about in case I wasn't clear. On my Tomtom, if I go to Browse Map and click on a spot to add a POI, a cursor will appear there. Then I click on the cursor button and select Add As Poi. A category list will appear, but the only 3 categories listed are Fire Station, Playing Field, and School. None of the other categories are listed, which means I can't add the POI because you HAVE to choose a category. The 3 categories that are listed are the ones that have separate OV2 files in the map directory. The happens no matter if I use the new POI files I copied over or if I revert back to my backups. However, if I click on Navigate To and choose POI, all of the categories are listed. What's wrong?

Last edited:
okay, first Change Preferences--> Manage POIs (page 2) -->Add POI Category and type in a name for your category (and a marker colour).

Now then, do what you described by Browse Maps-->Select the cursor position and add it to the category. This time, you will see the category you created in the list and you can add it there.

You are correct in your observations that you can't edit the built in poi.dat file by adding listings to a built in category (which you see when you navigate to-->as you observed).

Only those categories with specific .ov2 files can get manipulated. Add a category as I described and you have created the new .ov2 file (and category)

Okay, gotcha, thanks! I was able to create my own category without trouble. I didn't realize you couldn't add to existing categories that were part of the poi file. So basically, if I want to have separate icons for the various POI's that I add, I'd have to create a category for each of them, right?

Now then, I've seen quite a few POI downloads from the Home application. For example, one was McDonald's restaurants. I don't understand why these are showing up to download when they were already in the included POI file anyway? How do you differentiate between POI's that you already have in your file and ones available for download?

Thanks again!

okay, first Change Preferences--> Manage POIs (page 2) -->Add POI Category and type in a name for your category (and a marker colour).

Now then, do what you described by Browse Maps-->Select the cursor position and add it to the category. This time, you will see the category you created in the list and you can add it there.

You are correct in your observations that you can't edit the built in poi.dat file by adding listings to a built in category (which you see when you navigate to-->as you observed).

Only those categories with specific .ov2 files can get manipulated. Add a category as I described and you have created the new .ov2 file (and category)

The link was invalid. Here is the correct one

Big POI

Ohh and I downloaded this POI to compare the size to the large POI database I already had and this one Pedro posted is 8 MB bigger extracted overall. It's nice to know for sure that this is for map 810 for sure. The other one I downloaded off of another thread I'm not sure what version it was, but was still very damn big. Only 8MB less than this one.

Last edited:
Poi.dat

I've downloaded the BIG poi files and installed them on my TT. They seem to be working fine, so far.

Now, can anyone point to a way to convert the *.dat files to something more understandable (*.txt, *.csv, etc). I'd like to be able to examine the poi's and better understand what they contain.

Thanks for your help.

LarryF

That may not be feasible, Larry. The data contained in the poi.dat (and crpoi.dat) file is proprietary coded by TomTom. Don't think there is a tool to break it down.

Last edited:
That may not be feasible, Larry. The data contained in the poi.dat (and crpoi.dat) file is proprietory coded by TomTom. Don't think there is a tool to break it down.
Don't know any of that proprietary stuff but when merging a personal with a TT ov2, the personal has to be cut-and-pasted to TT ov2.

Last edited:
I've downloaded the BIG poi files and installed them on my TT. They seem to be working fine, so far.

Now, can anyone point to a way to convert the *.dat files to something more understandable (*.txt, *.csv, etc). I'd like to be able to examine the poi's and better understand what they contain.

Thanks for your help.

LarryF

Back in February, I had found a fair amount of information about the two files POI.DAT and CRPOI.DAT and downloaded a program that was supposed to be able to handle them. After over an hour of trying, I had not succeeded to get anywhere and called it quit. I also tried with regular POI programs and contacted the author of POI edit (my favorite) who told me the POI.DAT file was of a proprietary format and could not offer any editing of it. AFAIK, there is no program that will allow working with them.

I tried replacing the larger pio on my go720 with 815 maps and it doesn't work. I have the maps on a 4GB SDHC card in the North America 2GB folder. Any siggestions?

I tried replacing the larger pio on my go720 with 815 maps and it doesn't work. I have the maps on a 4GB SDHC card in the North America 2GB folder. Any siggestions?
Are you referring to the .ov2 catergories or the larger 44 x 44 vs 22 x 22 .bmp files?

Are you referring to the .ov2 catergories or the larger 44 x 44 vs 22 x 22 .bmp files?

I'm referring the the poi and crpoi files as well as the Brand subfolder as mentioned in the first post.

I read in this post that there may be changes in the way these files are compressed when they went from 810 to 815. If anyone has the 815 pio and crpio file, please upload. (Don't forget the brand subfolder).

thanks

Last edited:
I'm referring the the poi and crpoi files as well as the Brand subfolder as mentioned in the first post.

I read in this post that there may be changes in the way these files are compressed when they went from 810 to 815. If anyone has the 815 pio and crpio file, please upload. (Don't forget the brand subfolder).
I have them on the 815.2019 but won't be getting to my USB cradle 'til Wednesday or Thursday. Sorry.

On my 815 map, I tried using the large poi files from map 810, and it did NOT work at all. Another member here sent me the large POI files from their 815 map off of their 920, and it worked wonderfully.

Ask a Question